Moody Eclipse 33 1988 Eclipse MK1, wrong Builder's Certificate??

Julia Blanck

Temporary Member
a sunny hello to the community and sorry in advance for my English-skills ;-)!
We are about to buy a 1988 Moody Eclipse 33 MK1. We realised that the number printed in the hull at the stern (BRS, six numbers plus another three numbers below ) has not much similarities with the number written in the builders certificate (just: K1021) Are we probably looking at the completely wrong end?
Thank you for any hint!

Attachments

• Moody Number.jpg
    Moody Number.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 123
Nothing wrong with your English skills!
The short number K1021 will be the builder’s number, used in the boatyard to identify all the parts - you will find that number written on the underside of some wooden parts. The ‘official’ number is the long one on the stern.

Thank you, Dick, for your quick response. OK, so the builders certificate is not really useful to identify the hull, right? We will keep our eyes open to some older wooden parts ;-) Good to know which number to name now on documents... Cheers

Dick is correct that the Marine Projects yard number is likely to be the K1021, which would have been on the Builders plaque originally mounted somewhere, like around the chart table and also on the original Hull Certificate. It is also likely to be on some parts of the boat furniture such as under the chart table lid, or underside of locker lids. (So the build yard could identify the relevant parts for each boat).

The number embedded in the transom is the unique number used by Lloyds Register to identify the hull, there may also be a similar number in the deck mould (mine is in the gutter drain of the cockpit). This is likely to be the LR work control number for the Bristol office and also used for invoices etc. They will have put a number on the LR plaque. A photo of both plaques (sorry not very clear) for my boat is attached.

Not to be confused with the "official number" which is used for ship registration depending on the flag the yacht is registered with. For many UK yachts that will be Part III, the Small Ships Register number issued by the MCA and if issued, will be visible on the coach roof side starting with "SSRxxxxx".

If , instead of the SSR, the yacht has UK full Part I registry (the old Blue Book), the official number and tonnage (tonnage measurement, not to be confused with the displacement/ or weight of the yacht) will be carved in the main bulkhead (usually carved on a block of wood secured to the bulkhead).

Other countries may mark the yacht in a different manner .

Paul

Attachments

• IMG_20200721_181403353~2.jpg
    IMG_20200721_181403353~2.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Back