Moody 40 (late 90s early 00s) 2000 Moody 42- Things to look for during first look

Boat name
SPREZZATURA
Berth
Oriental, NC
Boat type
Moody 42 (2000s)
Cruising area
East Coast USA
Any particular watch outs on this model?

Well I went to see her, I am inexperienced, but she looked to be well taken care of.
One question for this forum:
There was several inches of clear water in the bilge near the mast support. Boat was in the water in the Chesapeake Bay, Broker said it was seal water, I have since heard about deck scupper issues.

Any input from 38/40/42/46 CC owner would be appreciated, is this a common issue or a "show stopper"?.

Greg,
If there was several inches of water near the mast support that would indicate that there is water throughout the bilge as all section are connected.
Can you tell if it was salt water or fresh water?
Salt water could be leaking keel bolts or sea cocks.
Fresh water could be minor leaks in the domestic water system.
My M42 is 2001 and I have owned it for 14 years. When I bought it there was always water in the bilge but after a bit of searching for leaks and minor repairs it became dry.
I assume you will have a surveyor's report before you purchase?

Roy

Greg,
If there was several inches of water near the mast support that would indicate that there is water throughout the bilge as all section are connected.
Can you tell if it was salt water or fresh water?
Salt water could be leaking keel bolts or sea cocks.
Fresh water could be minor leaks in the domestic water system.
My M42 is 2001 and I have owned it for 14 years. When I bought it there was always water in the bilge but after a bit of searching for leaks and minor repairs it became dry.
I assume you will have a surveyor's report before you purchase?

Roy
Roy-
It was a first look, I wanted to see condition. Everything looked very good, lightly used. Will get a survey. Broker brought my attention to deck scuppers. I saw on the US Moody Facebook group that they can be an issues. I don't know if this is a source of water.
I didn't think to check for salt , it just looked very clear, not rusty, or cloudy, since the boat is in the Chesepeake Bay, the salt water has a brownish tint from tannin and mud.

Are you happy with your 42?, would love to hear about your experiences.

Roy-
It was a first look, I wanted to see condition. Everything looked very good, lightly used. Will get a survey. Broker brought my attention to deck scuppers. I saw on the US Moody Facebook group that they can be an issues. I don't know if this is a source of water.
I didn't think to check for salt , it just looked very clear, not rusty, or cloudy, since the boat is in the Chesepeake Bay, the salt water has a brownish tint from tannin and mud.

Are you happy with your 42?, would love to hear about your experiences.
This is the one I saw...

Greg,

You may notice that one of the photos on the YachtWorld is taken near the Statue of Liberty. I was in New York in 2008 and as I was crossing to Staten Island that M42 sailed past. I took a photo and sent it to the owner!
I am very happy with my boat - the third Moody that I have owned. She is a very comfortable boat with reasonable cruising performance.
My wife and I sail the Irish Sea and the west coast of Scotland. The rig is very easily handled with the furling mainsail.
I would highly recommend the M42.

Roy

Hi Greg, I bought my M40 a couple of years ago and members here told me to take a look at the rudder stock. Supposedly Moody used some incompatible glue at one point and the rudder would fill up with water. I didn't even have to mention that to the surveyor because after 10 minutes he said that the rudder is chunk, which prompted a complete rudder overhaul. Like Roy, I also have some fresh water in the bilge and I'm tracking it down. It's down to very minimal after sealing the water tanks, water pump and shower stalls. I still don't know if I get water when there is a heavy down poor, but I'll get there... Otherwise no issues.

Dan

I have issues with the lazzerette locker seals. The best way to fix it is to fit new seals. On mine the problem was at thr junction between foam rubber seals. The solution was to put clingfilm over the surface the lid sat on and apply silicon at the join between the strips of foam.
Its a great boat,!
Duncan

Greg,

You may notice that one of the photos on the YachtWorld is taken near the Statue of Liberty. I was in New York in 2008 and as I was crossing to Staten Island that M42 sailed past. I took a photo and sent it to the owner!
I am very happy with my boat - the third Moody that I have owned. She is a very comfortable boat with reasonable cruising performance.
My wife and I sail the Irish Sea and the west coast of Scotland. The rig is very easily handled with the furling mainsail.

Roy
Roy, that's so interesting that you took that picture.
That is one of my sailing goals, to take my grandkids around the Statue of Liberty on a boat one day!.

I assume you crossed the Atlantic in your Moody 42 ? Where you happy with how she performed?

Greg
Hi Greg, I bought my M40 a couple of years ago and members here told me to take a look at the rudder stock. Supposedly Moody used some incompatible glue at one point and the rudder would fill up with water. I didn't even have to mention that to the surveyor because after 10 minutes he said that the rudder is chunk, which prompted a complete rudder overhaul. Like Roy, I also have some fresh water in the bilge and I'm tracking it down. It's down to very minimal after sealing the water tanks, water pump and shower stalls. I still don't know if I get water when there is a heavy down poor, but I'll get there... Otherwise no issues.

Dan
Dan
Thanks so much for the comments, I will add the rudder to my list of things to investigate.
Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Greg

I have issues with the lazzerette locker seals. The best way to fix it is to fit new seals. On mine the problem was at thr junction between foam rubber seals. The solution was to put clingfilm over the surface the lid sat on and apply silicon at the join between the strips of foam.
Its a great boat,!
Duncan
Duncan-
Thanks for the tip on how to fix the seal joint. Very clever.
Glad to hear you are pleased with your baot.

Greg

Dan
Hi Dan my M40 1997 used to get fresh water in the bilge regularly and this was due to the seal of the water tank gauge not being 100%. Whenever one filled the tank with water it would seep from the unit, or when on a tack. So, I removed the gauge, applied many turns of PTF tape around the thread and this resolved that issue.
> In early 2000, I used to get salt water in the bilge and this was due to the drainage holes in the anchor locker not being sealed with the hull. A bit of GRP wiped around those two joints sealed the hull and anchor locker joint and no problems since. Hope this is your answer!

Hi Dan my M40 1997 used to get fresh water in the bilge regularly and this was due to the seal of the water tank gauge not being 100%. Whenever one filled the tank with water it would seep from the unit, or when on a tack. So, I removed the gauge, applied many turns of PTF tape around the thread and this resolved that issue.
> In early 2000, I used to get salt water in the bilge and this was due to the drainage holes in the anchor locker not being sealed with the hull. A bit of GRP wiped around those two joints sealed the hull and anchor locker joint and no problems since. Hope this is your answer!
Thank you for the input Derek. I had the same problem with the water tank. That was the easy fix. I'll take a look at the anchor locker, which I have not looked at before. Cheers!

Greg,

Roy
Roy, the boat I looked at has an Irish name, I think!, Do you know what the name means?

Attachments

• 20210716_144341.jpg
    20210716_144341.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 213
Sorry Greg, I have no idea what it means.

Roy

PS - I did not sail the Atlantic in my M42, I sailed the sky in a 747!!

Greg,
My wife and I looked at this boat on Monday. We liked a lot, but the timing isn't right, it's too soon to pull the trigger on purchasing. I'd be interested in your thoughts. Call 202 702 6647 if you would like to discuss this or boat shopping in general.

Back