Moody 336 336 Engine Replacement

William Dickinson

Temporary Member
Hi.

I am interested in buying a Mood 336 but I am concerned about the age of the engines and the possibility of having to fit a new one. Has anybody had to renew an engine or carry out major repairs? I have fitted engines to two previous boats but do not wish to do so again at my age.

I would also be grateful if anyone could tell me what the "S" donates in S336. - Sport perhaps?

Best Regards.

Willie Dickinson

David Knight

David Knight
Boat name
DIONYSUS
Berth
Tollesbury
Boat type
Moody 336
Cruising area
North Sea/ Channel
I have a Moody 336 with original Volvo 2003 fitted. Not totally sure about hours, but has good use and is totally reliable and easy to start.
Once oil has been changed it stays clear for many months, and I believe this to be a guide to the condition of the engine.
Think these engines have a lot of life if been cared for. Would not let this stop you looking for a 336. I can assure you they are fabulous boats
Rgds
David Knight

Richard Readings

Richard Readings
Boat name
EMMIE
Berth
Parkstone Yacht Club
Boat type
Moody 336
Cruising area
English Channel
I would also be grateful if anyone could tell me what the "S" donates in S336. - Sport perhaps?
I think the later 336's had the 'S' prefix, and I believe they have a different engine. Ours (1991) has a Volvo 2003, no problems with that. If it starts well from cold (no glowplugs in the 2003) then all should be well. I've not yet come across a 336 with has had to have its engine replaced, although I'm sure it has been done!

Richard