1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

34 Cc (not 346)

Discussion in 'Thinking of buying a Moody ask a question here' started by Michael Riley, 29/4/16.

1. We have just made an offer on hull #160, Iansa which is in San Francisco. Would appreciate any information, especially on the Thornycroft diesel. Supposedly has 2500 hours.
    Thank you,
    Michael

2. George Young

George Young George Young Executive Committee

Boat name:
    ANNGEO TOO
    Boat type:
    Moody 346
    Cruising area:
    North Sea, Skagarak, Baltic
    I have owned a 346 for 23 years and it is an ideal boat for, 2 occasionally 4 and 6 if you must! Apart from the sugar scoop stern the 346 and 34 are identical.
    The engine is a Thornycroft T80D at 28hp or T80E at 35hp, most are D's but are persistently quoted as 35hp! The D will cruise at 6.2 Kn at 2200rpm and give 7.3Kn at around 2700rpm with clean hull. Mine has done over 3500 hours and uses little oil and starts without problems as long as the pre-heater is used for a cold start. The engine is Mitubishi based and parts are readily available from industrial engine suppliers. Experience has shown that the original diesel lift or forwarding pump is a source of oil leaks and best to change to an electric type. Similarly the original exhaust water trap in Stainless Steel rots in time and a GRP repacement should be fitted.
    The boat is best sailed upright or 15Deg heel max. otherwise it becomes very heavy to steer particularly with the Genoa up front, I have changed to a 105% yankee cut foresail and this improves the balance at the expense of light air performance. I have a Gennaker with top-down furling which is fun but not for passage making. Recently I have been sailing with twin foresails in the Furlex grooves (the second hoisted via a fall to a block attached to the top swivel so that it can be removed without dropping both sails) and this is very successful as it can be used normally for upwind and reaching or with a pole on the weather side (or both!) for downwind legs. The mainsail is fully battened and as a result a reef can be taken in even when going downwind by judicious use of the topping lift to hold the boom up. The Baby-stay attachment at the deck is not the best design and many have had problems with the deck lifting - a repair is not always successfull and the solution I adopted was to fit a chain plate at the anchor well and a mast attachment just above the spreaders/spinnaker pole uphaul exit for a cutter stay. I fly a 7m2 storm jib on this stay and have also fitted a Petter Boom to improve sail shape. With 3 reefs in the main and just the cuttersail the boat is very well balanced and comfortable in strong winds and is my sail plan for 30+Kn.

Search info exchange on the MOA site and you will find lots of information

Regards

George Young