• We've just upgraded this forum to a major new version. It looks slightly different and has different menu options.

Please let me know if there are any issues you encounter with this upgrade, I'm still getting my head round it! Tolerance and a bit of time would be most appreciated.

Thanks Neil

346 Vs 37/376?

Rob Whelton

Rob Whelton
Registered Guest
Recently viewed a local 346 and it has given us much to think about.
SWMBO is pretty keen, as the boat is in quite good condition inside. I'm a bit less keen as our long term plan is to become liveaboards for a few years and I think that if we're going to go to the hassle/expense of changing boats it should be for a true 'forever' boat. I think we should consider saving up a bit more and looking at a 376, or similar.

I'd studied the layout plan before viewing the 346, and was a bit disappointed by how little headroom there is in the walk through. Mostly because of how this affects the galley, which in plan view looks really good but in reality isn't much bigger than on our current boat. I realise that there is absolutely nothing that can be done about this, but I was wondering how the galley and walk through compare on the larger 376?

Plenty of other things about the boat that we both loved- cockpit felt good, aft cabin was amazing!

Peter Wright

Peter Wright
Boat name
WILD THYME
Berth
Suffolk Yacht Harbour
Boat type
Moody 425
Cruising area
North Sea, English Channel, Biscay
Hi Rob,

It depends really on what your liveaboard intentions are. If it's primarily as a home, which moves occasionally, the extra space in a 37/376 will be most welcome and personally I would rate the extra area and stowage space as more valuable than the increased headroom, although that would also be a benefit. If, on the other hand, you intend significant passages aboard your home, the 37/376 has more than a metre of additional waterline length, which will make for much faster passages, so you should add that to the benefits of the extra space in the larger model. There is no substitute for waterline length.

Whichever model you go for, you won't regret choosing a Moody.

Peter

Laurence Gandar

Laurence Gandar
Rob
As the 376 is really a larger version of the 346 they are very similar, the 376 having 2 heads and a larger cockpit locker and the galley not in the passage to the aft cabin. The 37 is the same as the 376 but without the "sugar scoop" stern.
I attach my comments on our 376.
If you around the Swanwick area you are welcome to come and have a look at Mistral Dancer sometime.
We are currently in Premier Marina.
Laurence.

Attachments

Alex Mansfield

Alex Mansfield
Boat name
TWOFLOWER
Berth
Cagliari
Boat type
Moody 376
Cruising area
Mediterranean
Hi Rob,

Not quite a year ago we were facing the same decision for a liveaboard boat, and we decided for the larger 376 for much the same reasons Peter pointed out, also because we were happier with the dimensions of the standing rigging. We found the extra headroom in the passage to the aft cabin makes a big difference when walking up and down many times a day. Lastly, the U-shaped galley in the 376 is comfortable and feels safer for cooking while underway.

Angie & Alex