1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

422 Hull : Core Or No

Discussion in 'Thinking of buying a Moody ask a question here' started by Richard Swinemar, 3/1/17.

1. Richard Swinemar

Richard Swinemar Richard Swinemar Registered Guest

Looking at purchasing a 422. Can't find any info on hull construction. Did they use balsa core construction in the boats lay up? Anything in particular we should look at for a boat in the late 80s
    Thanks.

2. Peter Wright

Peter Wright Peter Wright

Boat name:
    WILD THYME
    Boat type:
    Moody 425
    Cruising area:
    North Sea, English Channel, Biscay
    Hi Richard,

The hull itself has no core, it's a solid glass fibre reinforced poylyester moulding with isophthalic gel coat. The design includes moulded in floors and stringers to increase stiffness, these are clearly cored with something, probably a high density foam, but I don't know . Limber holes through the floors are lined with rigid plastic pipe to protect the core from moisture ingress.

The hull is also stiffened by many marine ply bulkheads and part bulkheads well bonded to the hull. Mild steel bolts were used to hold these in place during bonding and corrosion of these has attracted adverse comment from surveyors but, imho, they are not of significance to the sructural integrity of the hull once the grp bonding of the bulkheads has cured.

The deck moulding is constructed of balsa cored glass fibre reinforced polyester. It includes marine ply core in way of original deck fittings. On any second hand boat of this age, it's worth looking closely at how well any after market deck fittings have been fitted.

The rudder is of glass fibre reinforced polyester formed on a stainless steel stock with stainless steel tangs. The moulding is otherwise filled with a foam of some type.

One key feature to take a close look at is the little stainless steel sealing plates which seal the deck at the chain plate penetration. Over time, the sealant used for these plates seems of lose its effectiveness. The remedy is simply to remedy the little plates every so often. However, where this has not been done, leakage through the penetration gets into the marine ply part bulkhead to which the chain plate is bolted causing rot. In the worst case I heard of (not a 422 or 425), this resulted in failure of the part bulkhead and the owner was lucky not to lose the rig
    It's not easy to inspect the condition of the part bulkheads as they are hidden behind the cabinetry in the saloon.

Overall these are very soundly built boats, built by Marine Projects of Plymouth, now rebranded as Princess Yachts and dedicated to power boat construction. As with any yacht of this age, the way she has been cared for over the past 30 odd years will be as important as the quality of her original construction.

If you find a good example of a 422, and there are many, you will not regret purchasing her.

Peter

3. Richard Swinemar

Richard Swinemar Richard Swinemar Registered Guest

Thanks for the info Peter. My brother and I are looking at one over here in Canada. Rare around here. Appears to be in very good condition. I'll check in on those things you've pointed out. I've picked up a few things from the other message boards and forums as well. We're looking at the Moody, a Brewer pilothouse 40 and an Island Packet. We may well be joining your ranks soon!
    Cheers
    Richard