1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Few Questions About The Eclipse 33

Discussion in 'Thinking of buying a Moody ask a question here' started by Christophe Lascombes, 21/7/17.

1. Christophe Lascombes

Christophe Lascombes Christophe Lascombes Temporary Member

Hello everybody,
    I want first to apologize about my bad english. My only alibi (but is it really one?) is that I'm a french sailor living in Germany. I'll try to express myself so clear as possible and I'd greatly appreciate if your answers are in simple sentences to avoir me to misunterstand you.
    My "Amirality" and I are very attracted by decksaloon sailboats and the Moody Eclipse 33 DS fit (fast) all our expectations to a sturdy boat to sail and travel with.
    By our search, we've found some candidates. We have noticed, that they are two kind of Eclips 33: MK1 and MK2.
    First "big" question: what are the major differences between MK1 and MK2? Is this only a different way to use the internal space (helm, stering wheel or not)? Or do the yard make significant changes in the structure of the hull or in the dimensions?

Second: if the engine have to be changed (or repaired with a major refit, i.e in case of an "old" Volvo penta 2003T), how easy or difficult could be this removal?

Third: same as question 2, but respecting the water tank and the diesel tank?

Fourth: where are the points or areas (obvious or hidden) which have to be "explored" to obtain an informed opinion of the real condition of the boat? Are there specific points or areas to be inspected because they are not ageing well?

That's it for the moments and I'll thank in advance all those who shall take the time to answer me instead of sailing their wonderful boats.

Christophe

2. Mark Cady

Mark Cady Mark Cady

Boat name:
    BLUE MOON
    Berth:
    Wareham
    Boat type:
    Moody Eclipse 33
    Cruising area:
    Poole South Coast
    No significant problems are found on the Eclipse 33. The large windows can cause problems as the aluminium frames can corrode at the corner joints. The 2003t was not reputed to be the best engine but 2003 non turbo is a robust engine. Many Eclipse owners have changed engines. Fuel and water tanks have been changed on some but others are still ok after 25+ years. As any Eclipse is going to be over 20 years old you will have to assess each on its merits. Minor changes and variations can be seen on Eclipses but the only significant change on the Mk2 was the removal of the interior wheel , the removal of the saloon table changing to a double berth and the removal of the washbasin in the aft cabin.
    I have never been disappointed with my Eclipse and have not met anyone who has been.

3. Christophe Lascombes

Thank you Mark for your nice answer.
    I have heard hat it is possible to remove the turbo from the VP 2003T. After that, the engine should remain problemless, but developps then only about 20 HP. Do you mean that ist enough power for an Eclipse 33? What enghine do you have on Blue Moon?

4. Mark Cady

Mark Cady Mark Cady

Boat name:
    BLUE MOON
    Berth:
    Wareham
    Boat type:
    Moody Eclipse 33
    Cruising area:
    Poole South Coast
    Mine has a 2003 non turbo 28hp. It delivers 6knts at 2500 rpm. If you remove the turbo from a 2003T I think you will need a different injection pump. The problems with the 2003T was apparently due to being under used due to the excessive power. Any problems with the 2003 will probably not be resolved by removing the turbo. Replacement 2003 engines are available from old ships lifeboats a supplier is www.marineenterprisesltd.co.uk
    Mark

5. David Woolgar

David Woolgar David Woolgar

Boat name:
    JEMMA
    Berth:
    Medway
    Boat type:
    Moody Eclipse 38
    Cruising area:
    East Coast
    Hi Christophe

Your English is a lot better than my French or German!

I owned an Eclipse 33 for 6 years before changing to an Eclipse 38. The 33 was a very good boat and never disappointed us.

You are right about the difference between the mark 1 and mark 2. There were minor cosmetic changes but the only real difference was the removal of the inside wheel and the 'bulkhead' to which it was attached. This gave the cabin a more spacious and 'open' feel, but you lost the inside helm seat and of course the wheel. Also some later mark 2 boats had different engines fitted from new - I believe some had Perkins Prima's and some Volvo 2030's. All the mark 1 boats had Volvo 2003's (either turbo or non turbo) and these were also 'raw water cooled'.

I changed the engine in my 33 from the old 2003 to a new Volvo D1-30 and there is no problem getting the old engine out or the new one in. Remove the steps into the cabin and there is room for the engines to be lifted in and out.

I never had problems with either the water or diesel tanks but I know many people were not so lucky. All the tanks can be removed without to much trouble and there are articles in the MOA Technical Library about doing so. The main problem with the diesel tank is that water could accumulate at the forward inboard corner of the tank which you cannot see or get to, and this would rust the mild steel. If this happens the tank can be taken out through the cockpit locker hatch and a plastic replacement ( Tektanks have the 'patten') put in which will resolve the problem.
    The aluminium water tanks (there are 2) under the floor in the saloon can also be lifted out although it is a very 'tight squeeze'!

Regarding general points to look for as Mark has said these boats are all 25 years or more old so it is really down to the individual boat and how it has been maintained. The rudder seals can start to leak (these can be replaced fairly easily) and as Mark has said the saloon window frames can corrode and leak in the corners but my Eclipse had non of these problems. There is a company in England called Seaglaze who can make new frames and windows for the saloon. I have had these made for my 38!

I hope this helps and hope you find an enjoy one of these great boats.

Regards

David

6. Christophe Lascombes

Hi Mark, lot of thanks for your reply and the informations in it. I had a look on the site von "marineenterprises". I am really glad to see, that when I buy a Eclipse 33 with an old engine which makes problems, it will b nol big story ti replace it with a better (and more modern) one.

Regards

Xtophe

7. Christophe Lascombes

Hi David, thanks a lot for your answert too! All your informations you gave to me make me feeling more confortable yet at the begin of my "quest" for our next boat (an Eclipse 38 could fit more of our desires in puncto "gorgeous space effect", but for the moment it remains still a "little bit" out of our financial range!).
    I have also read a lot of posts on the Technical Library (i.e. for the removal of the diesel tank which had contrain the owner to break (or something like that!) the galley plate. What you wrote make my looking for a boat which needs a "little TLC" more easier. Another point that I have to consider is the replacement from the standing rigging. The insurance of our Circé (Pantaenius) had demanded to change our standing rigging (from the 90's!) before they accept to cover the mast, the standing rigging and all associated risks. We did survey it and it was a good decision: half of the shrouds had to be replaced because damaged. For one or 2 of the actual candidates, it will surely be the same story. The same point is about the sails too...

Regards

Xtophe