• We've just upgraded this forum to a major new version. It looks slightly different and has different menu options.

Please let me know if there are any issues you encounter with this upgrade, I'm still getting my head round it! Tolerance and a bit of time would be most appreciated.

Thanks Neil

Advice On Buying A Moody 40 Or 42 Advice

Derek Gemmell

Derek Gemmell
Boat name
PURSUIT
Berth
Crinan Scotland
Boat type
Moody 376
Cruising area
UK
Hi there

I'm on the lookout for a 40' boat ideally built 2000'sh, centre cockpit, cutter rig, slab reefing, deep keel, propshaft not sail drive. I've owned Moody's before but my main gripe has been windward performance, in mast furling and maneuvering around marinas.

The 425 looks a good boat but is the 40,42 its direct replacement?

Can anyone give me advice on the above mark and anything I should look out for on this age of boat?

My sailing area is north Atlantic

Thanks

Derek

Peter Wright

Peter Wright
Boat name
WILD THYME
Berth
Suffolk Yacht Harbour
Boat type
Moody 425
Cruising area
North Sea, English Channel, Biscay
Hi Derek,

The Moody 425 is a great boat and one of the better performing Moodys, judging by the ratings. In spirit, her natural successor is the Moody 44, probably the best performer of the fleet for her waterline length.

However, the Moody 425, and the later 40 / 42, mostly came with in mast furling - not a performance problem if you get a well cut sail and learn how to use it - and all of Dixon's Moodys are fin and skeg, which means they hold a course better than a modern fin and semi balanced spade, but don't turn as tightly. Most of us learn to deal with this in the tightest of marinas and owners of bigger classic yachts with long keels even learn to live with their reluctance to turn.

The masthead rig with a 150% genoa came from the US Eastern seaboard, and was never the closest winded plan, but has served cruising yachtsmen well for 60 odd years now. The Moody 40 /42 features a more modern approach than the 425 with swept back spreaders and narrower shroud base, permitting a closer sheeting angle for the genoa, so they should be somewhat closer winded, but not like 7/8 rigged racing machine.

Surely a 40 / 42 owner will be along shortly to give you direct experience of those fine craft.

Neil???

Peter

Last edited:

Roy Totten

Roy Totten
General Committee
MOA Position
Ireland Branch Vice Captain
Boat name
IMAGINE OF CARRICK
Berth
Carrickfergus
Boat type
Moody 42
Cruising area
Ireland Scotland
Derek,

My 2001 M42 has a vertically battened furling mainsail and a 115% genoa. Her windward performance is as good as any cruising boat and better than many. The bow thruster is a great help in maneuvering the boat and eliminates much of the problem related to the distance between the sail-drive propeller and the rudder.
The boat has a good average speed both sailing and motoring.

Points to look for - possible leak at rudder tube, rust on keel bolts (usually surface only), toilet hoses may need changed, seals on aft lazarettes can leak into bilge.

I have owned her for 10 years, she is my 3rd Moody and I and I still find real pleasure in sailing her.

Roy

Duncan Hall

Duncan Hall
Boat name
GOOSE
Berth
Mayflower, Plymouth
Boat type
Moody 42
Cruising area
South Coast
I purchased a 2001 M42 this February. I did a major refit including:
  • new sails
  • new rigging
  • new fabric upholstery
  • new radar/chartplotter
  • ungraded electrics (inverter charger)
  • fix rudder leaks
  • replaced cockpit and transom teak.
The sails are both furling and the boat points well. The main has short vertical battens. I had the 130% genoa cut high to improve visibility. I had slab reefing on my previous yacht and the Moody 42 points much better I often sail close to 30% to the apparent wind. I have no problem with the inmast furling but did invest in a Vectran main. The old original sail clearly jammed but that was more to do with the way it had stretched.

The engine has some work (new exhaust elbow and water pump). She comfortably motors at 7 to 8kn with the 59HP motor (not 50HP as in the archive).

I have a bow thruster which aids in docking the boat in Marinas. However now that I have the feel of the boat I find her no more difficult to handle than my previous Moody 31. I often sail her single handed.

The main problem for me has been getting the lazarette locker to seal effectively.

Although the boat had been neglected prior to my purchase she has proved an excellent purchase.

I wish you luck in finding one.

Regards

Duncan

Derek Gemmell

Derek Gemmell
Boat name
PURSUIT
Berth
Crinan Scotland
Boat type
Moody 376
Cruising area
UK
Thanks gents, apologies for the late reply managed to escape on holiday.

I reckon you've covered all my concerns and some stuff to look for when I locate one for sale.

Have a good Christmas

Derek

Duncan Monteith

Duncan Monteith
Registered Guest
I purchased a 2001 M42 this February. I did a major refit including:
  • new sails
  • new rigging
  • new fabric upholstery
  • new radar/chartplotter
  • ungraded electrics (inverter charger)
  • fix rudder leaks
  • replaced cockpit and transom teak.
The sails are both furling and the boat points well. The main has short vertical battens. I had the 130% genoa cut high to improve visibility. I had slab reefing on my previous yacht and the Moody 42 points much better I often sail close to 30% to the apparent wind. I have no problem with the inmast furling but did invest in a Vectran main. The old original sail clearly jammed but that was more to do with the way it had stretched.

The engine has some work (new exhaust elbow and water pump). She comfortably motors at 7 to 8kn with the 59HP motor (not 50HP as in the archive).

I have a bow thruster which aids in docking the boat in Marinas. However now that I have the feel of the boat I find her no more difficult to handle than my previous Moody 31. I often sail her single handed.

The main problem for me has been getting the lazarette locker to seal effectively.

Although the boat had been neglected prior to my purchase she has proved an excellent purchase.

I wish you luck in finding one.

Regards

Duncan
Hi Duncan
I'm looking to purchase a M422/425 and would love to know the costs of a refit so that I can better value a boat and know what I'm letting myself in for.
I believe a new engine is around £10K!
Standing rigging £5
How much is the upholstery!
Upgrade on the wind instruments!
Many thanks
Duncan