• We've retitled the main forum Technical Information and added another called General Information to separate technical from discussion about general boating matters of concern.

We'll also be putting a few posts from the MOA General Committee on this new forum.

If you have saved any bookmarks, addresses, URLs, these will change. Just resave the new ones Do let us know if you approve?

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the x on the top right

Wanted Aluminium stanchions.

Barry Cundy

Barry Cundy
Boat name
SUMMER WINE
Berth
Cruising No Fixed Abode
Boat type
Moody 425
Cruising area
Uk, Brittany, Biscay
Hi Bob,
You’re likely to get these from SL Yachting, apparently their website is currently being updated, so best to send an email.
Regards Barry

Bob Tuffnell

Bob Tuffnell
Boat name
DAUPHIN BLEU
Berth
Rochefort
Boat type
Moody 37
Cruising area
French Atlantic Coast, S Brittany
Hi Bob,
You’re likely to get these from SL Yachting, apparently their website is currently being updated, so best to send an email.
Regards Barry
Thanks Barry
I have been trying to get on to their website for several weeks now, and came to the conclusion that they had gone bust or been bought out.
Rather hoped to find "pre-used", as they would blend in better with the existing equipment, (and would save a bit of cash , useful for all the other upgrade projects!)
cheers
Bob

Laurence Gandar

Laurence Gandar
Bob
I have two of these new unused from our 376. I also have some Pre-used ones.
We are in Warsash. Give me a call if you are able to come and view.
Mob 07770 665526
Laurence

Peter Wright

Peter Wright
Boat name
WILD THYME
Berth
Suffolk Yacht Harbour
Boat type
Moody 425
Cruising area
North Sea, English Channel, Biscay
Hi Bob,

For gateways, your better off, imho, to use stanchions which have a bracing leg to react the tension in the wires when the gate is open, such as:

I'm not particularly recommending either Cactus or the Plastimo brand.

We found the contrast between stainless gateposts and the weathered alloy stanchions goes unnoticed, unless you look for it - the pulpit and pushpit are already stainless. Photo attached so you can judge for yourself.

15-04-24 wildthyme-Roland.jpg

The downside of this approach is that you need 6 new stanchion sockets, rather than 2, which is probably enough to keep SL Yachting solvent!

Peter.

Bob Tuffnell

Bob Tuffnell
Boat name
DAUPHIN BLEU
Berth
Rochefort
Boat type
Moody 37
Cruising area
Bob
I have two of these new unused from our 376. I also have some Pre-used ones.
We are in Warsash. Give me a call if you are able to come and view.
Mob 07770 665526
Laurence
Thanks Laurence.
If you could send a photo of the used ones, I will call you a bit later.
Bob

Laurence Gandar

Laurence Gandar
Bob
I have mislead you a little. I forgot that I sold the used ones at a boat jumble last year but still have 3 new ones. Yours for £50 plus shipping costs unless you can pick up from Warsash.
IMG_4837.jpg

Bob Tuffnell

Bob Tuffnell
Boat name
DAUPHIN BLEU
Berth
Rochefort
Boat type
Moody 37
Cruising area
Bob
I have mislead you a little. I forgot that I sold the used ones at a boat jumble last year but still have 3 new ones. Yours for £50 plus shipping costs unless you can pick up from Warsash.
View attachment 17312
Ok, sorry I hadn’t answered earlier, we have other issues at the moment in France!
Will see if family or friends (at Hayling Island) can organise anything. Thanks. Bob

Laurence Gandar

Laurence Gandar
Ok, sorry I hadn’t answered earlier, we have other issues at the moment in France!
Will see if family or friends (at Hayling Island) can organise anything. Thanks. Bob
Bob, no worries. As long as we abide by the rules of social distancing I am sure we could arrange a convenient place to hand them over somewhere between Haying and Warsash.
Laurence

Philip Argyle

Philip Argyle
Boat name
GALLIUM
Berth
P.M.E. Fareham Creek
Boat type
Moody 27
Cruising area
Solent & Brest to Elbe
Bob, no worries. As long as we abide by the rules of social distancing I am sure we could arrange a convenient place to hand them over somewhere between Haying and Warsash.
Laurence
Hi Laurence, I'm looking for a replacement stanchion for my Moody 27 - or more if they are available as spares .. Do you still have any for sale ? I'm only in Fareham so no problem collecting (and keeping a distance of course). My mobile 07562 478104. Regards, Philip

Laurence Gandar

Laurence Gandar
Hi Laurence, I'm looking for a replacement stanchion for my Moody 27 - or more if they are available as spares .. Do you still have any for sale ? I'm only in Fareham so no problem collecting (and keeping a distance of course). My mobile 07562 478104. Regards, Philip
Philip, I am not sure if the stanchions for a M27 will be the same as for a M376 but for the moment Bob has first call. I don't have any other stock.

Ben Robilliard

Ben Robilliard
Boat name
DORIS OF ARDERNE
Berth
Plymouth
Boat type
Moody 31 MkII
Cruising area
South West
Hi all, I have 3 alloy stanchions from my 1987 31 mk2.
I am in Plymouth, but could probably arrange postage
I'll check dimensions.

Philip Argyle

Philip Argyle
Boat name
GALLIUM
Berth
P.M.E. Fareham Creek
Boat type
Moody 27
Cruising area
Solent & Brest to Elbe
Philip, I am not sure if the stanchions for a M27 will be the same as for a M376 but for the moment Bob has first call. I don't have any other stock.
Hi Laurence, I will check the actual dimensions of the stanchions on my boat and compare them with the dimensions on Bob's photo. I only need one desperately as I fell heavily against one and it broke at the middle guardrail hole (not a good thing but fortunately I was on my pontoon - luckily the top guardrail stayed intact). If Bob doesn;'t want them or doesn't want all of them then I'd be happy to take what you have.

Philip

Philip Argyle

Philip Argyle
Boat name
GALLIUM
Berth
P.M.E. Fareham Creek
Boat type
Moody 27
Cruising area
Solent & Brest to Elbe
I'll check dimensions.
Hi Ben, if Laurence sells his then I'm in the market for them .. couriers via Parcel2Go are still operating and it does not cost much I'll post the dims of my stanchions tomorrow and see if they are the same. Many thanks. Philip

Philip Argyle

Philip Argyle
Boat name
GALLIUM
Berth
P.M.E. Fareham Creek
Boat type
Moody 27
Cruising area
Solent & Brest to Elbe
Hi Laurence and Ben, The stanchions on my Moody 27 are identical to Bob's photos earlier in the thread. About 60/61cm overall length and 25cm from top guardrail hole to the lower guardrail hole. I suspect most of the Moody yachts from the early 80's have the same stanchions and stanchion bases - and indeed, toerail sections.

If either of you would like to sell me one or more then get in touch and we can sort out a contactless method of transaction. Many thanks. Philip 07562 478104

PS: I have had a reply to my enquiry from SL Yachting and they are still in business.

Philip Argyle

Philip Argyle
Boat name
GALLIUM
Berth
P.M.E. Fareham Creek
Boat type
Moody 27
Cruising area
Solent & Brest to Elbe
I'll check dimensions.
Hi Laurence and Ben, The stanchions on my Moody 27 are identical to Bob's photos earlier in the thread. About 60/61cm overall length and 25cm from top guardrail hole to the lower guardrail hole. I suspect most of the Moody yachts from the early 80's have the same stanchions and stanchion bases - and indeed, toerail sections.

If either of you would like to sell me one or more then get in touch and we can sort out a contactless method of transaction. Many thanks. Philip 07562 478104

PS: I have had a reply to my enquiry from SL Yachting and they are still in business.

Ben Robilliard

Ben Robilliard
Boat name
DORIS OF ARDERNE
Berth
Plymouth
Boat type
Moody 31 MkII
Cruising area
South West
I think they are std, mine are 61cm overall, 25cm between holes. Base is 24mm diameter.
The top holes are a bit worn, but fully functional, and could be bushed if you were that way inclined.
£20 for all 3 including postage?
Ben

Attachments

Philip Argyle

Philip Argyle
Boat name
GALLIUM
Berth
P.M.E. Fareham Creek
Boat type
Moody 27
Cruising area
Solent & Brest to Elbe
I think they are std, mine are 61cm overall, 25cm between holes. Base is 24mm diameter.
The top holes are a bit worn, but fully functional, and could be bushed if you were that way inclined.
£20 for all 3 including postage?
Ben
Hi Ben, Yes that's fine. My email is philipargyle@hotmail.com - if you drop me your bank details I can do a direct bank transfer or send you cash or cheque by post if you prefer - whatever suits you best. Many thanks, Philip

Ben Robilliard

Ben Robilliard
Boat name
DORIS OF ARDERNE
Berth
Plymouth
Boat type
Moody 31 MkII
Cruising area
South West
Hi Ben, Yes that's fine. My email is philipargyle@hotmail.com - if you drop me your bank details I can do a direct bank transfer or send you cash or cheque by post if you prefer - whatever suits you best. Many thanks, Philip
Hi Philip,
I think I sent you an email earlier in the week, but I have been having some trouble, so I have resent.
Please can you check and let me know.
Thanks
Ben

Philip Argyle

Philip Argyle
Boat name
GALLIUM
Berth
P.M.E. Fareham Creek
Boat type
Moody 27
Cruising area
Solent & Brest to Elbe
Hi Ben,

Nothing has arrived - checked my junkmail folder as well ? Send again please.

Philip

Ben Robilliard

Ben Robilliard
Boat name
DORIS OF ARDERNE
Berth
Plymouth
Boat type
Moody 31 MkII
Cruising area
South West
Hi Ben,

Nothing has arrived - checked my junkmail folder as well ? Send again please.

Philip
I have replaced my email provider now, please let me know if you have received a message.
Thanks
Ben