• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • We've just upgraded this forum to a major new version. It looks slightly different and has different menu options.

Please let me know if there are any issues you encounter with this upgrade, I'm still getting my head round it! Tolerance and a bit of time would be most appreciated.

Thanks Neil

Moody Grenadier 119 Any comments will be appreciated

Nigel Stinton

Nigel Stinton
Registered Guest
Hi.
I'm interested in a Moody Grenadier 119 but can find very little written about them.
I realise Moody only built three, so that's probably a big contributing factor.
Does anyone have an opinion on them? I'm interested in sea keeping ability, ease of handling (is it easy to single hand?).
I don't only want the good points, but any bad as well.

I will appreciate anything you can tell me.
Thanks, Nigel

Chris Burn

Chris Burn
Boat name
Cristobella
Boat type
Moody 34
Cruising area
North Wales / Irish Sea
Hi Nigel
My uncle had a Grenadier, but the 134, and if the 119 is anything like the 134 it would be a great yacht ( for me .... others might like something else) , single handing would present some challenges, mooring up mostly, we used to sail ok with just 2 on board but more help is sometimes welcome, the ease of single handing will be down to the set up of lines and a good auto pilot and a lot of forward thinking, as with most yachts.
It was a real pleasure to sail, well behaved in a blow mid biscay, well behaved in F8-9 in the solent, it was far better than the sailors on board.
A great yacht, roomy& comfy, quite respectable on passage speed, but probably not the first choice for single handing in my opinion, something smaller might be easier ........ but perhaps you are braver than I.

Nigel Stinton

Nigel Stinton
Registered Guest
Hi Chris
Thanks for your comments.
I don't know about brave?
I understand what you mean about it being a bit big for single handed sailing. I will often have my wife onboard to help with mooring and it has a bow thruster, so my concern is more to do with actually handling under sail. My wife isn't a sailor so not much help although she will try. Having a sea kindly boat is also very important as although we only plan to sail in good conditions, we have been caught out before a couple of times. The 119 is five foot shorter than the 134, so hopefully a bit less of a handful in marinas. It's been many years since I've sailed (my boat for the last 5 years has been a 32 ft motor cruiser) and never anything this large (usually a day-sailor or dingy) so I will have a steep learning curve :) I'll probably get a professional skipper to accompany me when I sail her to Scotland (if the deal goes through)

Kind regards, Nigel

Chris Burn

Chris Burn
Boat name
Cristobella
Boat type
Moody 34
Cruising area
North Wales / Irish Sea
Halcyon provide some good skippers, if it all comes good and you need a good man, ask for David Smith ( he lives in Scotland, and might be available) an easy to get on with skipper, keeps it low key and relaxed, but knows his stuff.
Good luck with the purchase