Moody 40/42 (late 90s early 00s) Anything in particular to look for during survey?

Mark Amaral

Mark Amaral
Boat name
CONSENSUS
Berth
Warren, Rhode Island
Boat type
Moody 42 (2000s)
Cruising area
Us East Coast
We are having a survey inspection done on a 2000 Moody 42 CC. Is there anything in particular we should be looking for, good or bad? Any insights welcome. My best, Mark

Roy Totten

Roy Totten
General Committee
MOA Position
Ireland Branch Vice Captain
Boat name
IMAGINE OF CARRICK
Berth
Carrickfergus
Boat type
Moody 42
Cruising area
Ireland Scotland
Mark,
Some points to be aware of -
The surveyor will probably raise the issue of rusty keelboats. It is usually just surface rust as Moody used mild steel.
The panels on the cockpit seats and floor are teak faced plywood which deteriorates over time but can be replaced with solid teak panels cut to the required size.
I have owned my M42 (2001) for 11 years and I have not had any major issues.

Roy

Patrick Chesnot

Patrick Chesnot
Boat name
CLAIR DE GOUËT
Berth
Los Alamitos Bay
Boat type
Moody 42 (2000s)
Cruising area
Southern California
Hi Mark,

I would add:
- holding tank: original is aluminum and likely leaking if not replaced since; can be partially accessed under floor board on port side of the saloon table.
- rudder shaft lip seals: look for sea water ingress at the rudder shaft under the master cabin berth. To test it, under power, reach about 6 knots to see the transom starting to sink under the water line and remain that way for a little while and check under the berth, at the quadrant.
- lazarette seals and drains: rain or sea water ingress in the lazarettes because of clogged up drains and leaky seals, causing leaks in the aft cabin.

Patrick

Mark Amaral

Mark Amaral
Boat name
CONSENSUS
Berth
Warren, Rhode Island
Boat type
Moody 42 (2000s)
Cruising area
Us East Coast
Thank you Roy and Patrick. Helpful tips, which I will certainly pass onto the surveyor.