• We've just upgraded this forum to a major new version. It looks slightly different and has different menu options.

Please let me know if there are any issues you encounter with this upgrade, I'm still getting my head round it! Tolerance and a bit of time would be most appreciated.

Thanks Neil

Babystays And Dinghies On The Foredeck

Rob Whelton

Rob Whelton
Registered Guest
It seems that most Moodys are rigged using a babystay rather than forward lowers.
I tend to use the foredeck of my exisitng boat as somewhere to inflate/stow the dinghy- but I'm worried that a babystay is going to stop me from doing this.
I recently viewed a 346 and the foredeck space seemed too small for a dinghy. I'm hoping to eventually aim for a larger boat- the 376 is what I have my eye on- so perhaps at a larger size this issue goes away? I'd be hoping to use a c.2.7m dinghy.

The other thing that crossed my mind was that it is probably possible to modify the rig by splitting the babystay and adding two extra chainplates- but that seems like a somewhat extreme option and an awful lot of work!

Laurence Gandar

Laurence Gandar
Boat name
MISTRAL DANCER
Berth
River Hamble
Boat type
Moody 376
Cruising area
Solent, English Channel
Rob,
I can confirm that our Avon Rover 2.8 will fit upside down on the foredeck of a M376 with its transom aft of the heads hatch and in front of the babystay. Sorry I don't have a photo of it in place.
Regards
Laurence

IMG_2458.JPG

Trevor Howard

Trevor Howard
Boat name
DIAMOND LADY
Berth
Conwy
Boat type
Moody 33S
Cruising area
Irish Sea
Hi Laurence.
Forgive me for chuckling at the name of the boat in the background of your photo !!

Rob Whelton

Rob Whelton
Registered Guest
Rob,
I can confirm that our Avon Rover 2.8 will fit upside down on the foredeck of a M376 with its transom aft of the heads hatch and in front of the babystay. Sorry I don't have a photo of it in place.
Regards
Laurence

View attachment 10689
Thanks, that's really useful to know. A 2.8m RIB is what we're eventually hoping to use. How do you find it accessing the foredeck when the RIB is stowed?

Laurence Gandar

Laurence Gandar
Boat name
MISTRAL DANCER
Berth
River Hamble
Boat type
Moody 376
Cruising area
Solent, English Channel
Rob,
Our Avon is not a RIB. It gives enough room on the foredeck to access the deck cleats, but extends over the anchor well lid.

Rob Whelton

Rob Whelton
Registered Guest
Ah sorry, my bad- I have my Avons mixed up! I use a Redcrest at the moment myself, and would hope to be able to upgrade at the same time as switching to a larger boat.

Pete Rowland

Peter Rowland
Boat name
APRIL LASS
Berth
Gosport
Boat type
Moody 31 MkII
Cruising area
Solent
Rob, there was a modification for the M34 that changed the baby stay to 2 forward lowers, attached to the coach roof just as it fades into the deck. Must have been 4 or 5 years ago and perhaps linked to the desire to get rid of the bar supporting the baby stay under the deck.

Pete

Rob Whelton

Rob Whelton
Registered Guest
Rob, there was a modification for the M34 that changed the baby stay to 2 forward lowers, attached to the coach roof just as it fades into the deck. Must have been 4 or 5 years ago and perhaps linked to the desire to get rid of the bar supporting the baby stay under the deck.

Pete
Thanks, interesting. IMHO I do prefer forward lowers, puts the chainplates in an inherently stronger part of the boat and keeps the foredeck clear. But I doubt I would ever bother to change it- Moody knew what they were doing!
What size is the standing rigging on the Moody 37 and 376, out of interest? And are t-terminals pretty much standard?

John Mortimer

John Mortimer
Boat name
WIZARD
Berth
Southampton
Boat type
Moody 346
Cruising area
Solent
We have a 346 and stand the inflatable on the rear sugar scoop - bow up - simples.
Fair winds
John