1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Babystays And Dinghies On The Foredeck

Discussion in 'Thinking of buying a Moody ask a question here' started by Rob Whelton, 13/1/18 at 22:34.

1. Rob Whelton

Rob Whelton Rob Whelton Registered Guest

It seems that most Moodys are rigged using a babystay rather than forward lowers.
    I tend to use the foredeck of my exisitng boat as somewhere to inflate/stow the dinghy- but I'm worried that a babystay is going to stop me from doing this.
    I recently viewed a 346 and the foredeck space seemed too small for a dinghy. I'm hoping to eventually aim for a larger boat- the 376 is what I have my eye on- so perhaps at a larger size this issue goes away? I'd be hoping to use a c.2.7m dinghy.

The other thing that crossed my mind was that it is probably possible to modify the rig by splitting the babystay and adding two extra chainplates- but that seems like a somewhat extreme option and an awful lot of work!

2. Laurence Gandar

Laurence Gandar Laurence Gandar

Boat name:
    MISTRAL DANCER
    Berth:
    River Hamble
    Boat type:
    Moody 376
    Cruising area:
    Solent, English Channel
    Rob,
    I can confirm that our Avon Rover 2.8 will fit upside down on the foredeck of a M376 with its transom aft of the heads hatch and in front of the babystay. Sorry I don't have a photo of it in place.
    Regards
    Laurence

IMG_2458.JPG

3. Trevor Howard

Trevor Howard Trevor Howard

Boat name:
    DIAMOND LADY
    Berth:
    Conwy
    Boat type:
    Moody 33S
    Cruising area:
    Irish Sea
    Hi Laurence.
    Forgive me for chuckling at the name of the boat in the background of your photo !!

4. Rob Whelton

Thanks, that's really useful to know. A 2.8m RIB is what we're eventually hoping to use. How do you find it accessing the foredeck when the RIB is stowed?

5. Laurence Gandar

Laurence Gandar Laurence Gandar

Boat name:
    MISTRAL DANCER
    Berth:
    River Hamble
    Boat type:
    Moody 376
    Cruising area:
    Solent, English Channel
    Rob,
    Our Avon is not a RIB. It gives enough room on the foredeck to access the deck cleats, but extends over the anchor well lid.

6. Rob Whelton

Ah sorry, my bad- I have my Avons mixed up! I use a Redcrest at the moment myself, and would hope to be able to upgrade at the same time as switching to a larger boat.

7. Pete Rowland

Pete Rowland Peter Rowland

Boat name:
    APRIL LASS
    Berth:
    Gosport
    Boat type:
    Moody 31 MkII
    Cruising area:
    Solent
    Rob, there was a modification for the M34 that changed the baby stay to 2 forward lowers, attached to the coach roof just as it fades into the deck. Must have been 4 or 5 years ago and perhaps linked to the desire to get rid of the bar supporting the baby stay under the deck.

Pete