1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Better 42 Cc With 1,50 Shoal Keel, Or With 1,85 Fin Keel?

Discussion in 'Thinking of buying a Moody ask a question here' started by Joerg Horstmann, 22/9/16.

1. Joerg Horstmann

Joerg Horstmann Joerg Horstmann Registered Guest

Dear Moody owners, i think about to sail around the world.
    From concept and viewing Moody 42 CC i like to buy this
    boat. But i don't know which keel is mich more better to sail -
    The fin or the shoal?
    Is this a questions of comfort if the boat is the same and the keel is longer?
    Does the boat goes faster or easier in the waves?
    Or is the possibility the get in small, flat reefs in the Pacific the secret to look for
    shoal keel to be flexible?
    I checked that the ballast from the shoal keel is 226 kg more

Thanks a lot to get yours opinions and personal experience.
    Kind regards Joerg

2. Micky Barnes

Micky Barnes Michael Barnes

Boat name:
    LIESEL
    Boat type:
    Moody 41
    Cruising area:
    South Coast
    Dear Joerg,
    I have a M41 with lifting keel which I presume is what you mean by shoal. I have not sailed one with a fixed keel so cannot give you a comparison. However the lifting keel gives good performance for what is a cruising boat - not a racer.
    Obvious advantage of getting into shallower places. This also gives the advantage that, if you accidentally go aground, then you can quickly lift the keel to get off. Trying to heel this weight of boat, by pushing the boom out and climbing onto it, is not very effective as the Moody is both heavy and broad beamed.
    The fixed portion of the keel carries all the weight, unlike boats such as the Feeling or Ovni, where it is in the hull.
    The fixed portion of the keel is longer than the standard fin which makes drying out alongside more stable. If you do dry out on a flat bottom then the boat does not heel over as much.
    Disadvantage is that it is something else to go wrong although this is not critical - still sails very well with keel lifted with only a little more leeway. The hydraulics takes up a little space that could be used for additional stowage.

I found that there are a number of normally hidden spaces in the M41 - may be the case with the M42. It is worth delving carefully.

Best of luck, Micky

3. Peter Wright

Peter Wright Peter Wright

Boat name:
    WILD THYME
    Boat type:
    Moody 425
    Cruising area:
    North Sea, English Channel, Biscay
    Hi Joerg,

I'm not a M42 owner, but I assume from your post that you're enquiring about the Moody 42 produced from 1999 - 2002 with the two alternate drafts you quote, both with fixed keels.

To achieve the required righting moment, the shallow draft version has a heavier keel (by 226 kg.) With a bulb at the bottom. In all other respects I believe the two models are identical. The extra overall weight will have minimal effect on a cruising yacht of over 10 tonnes design displacement - more like 12 tonnes with full tanks and cruising gear. The smaller lateral area of the keel will probably mean that the shoal draft version makes slightly more leeway so appears not to point as high as the deep draft model, but the difference will be small and hard to notice unless the two boats are competing on a windward course with matched sails and equally skilled crews. Let's face it, this is not a racing yacht, you should be looking elsewhere if you want a boat that points like a witch.

You have identified the key advantage of the shoal draft version - easier access to shallow ports - but the difference is only 35cm. We sail our 1.83m draft M425 in England's shallow east coast waters and this summer in the Ijselmeer with no problems.

In the end, it's a great boat in either version and the choice depends on where you intend to sail her. In your position, if I found a boat in the right condition at the right price, I would not let the type of keel she has put me off buying unless an equally good boat with the other keel option was available at an equally good price.

Hopefully, a M42 owner will be along soon to give you the benefit of his experience, but very few will have sailed both versions extensively and human nature makes us all think the model we own is best. Have you considered a M425?

Peter

4. Robert Cardinal

Robert Cardinal Robert Cardinal

Boat name:
    MOODY MISTRESS
    Boat type:
    Moody 425
    Cruising area:
    Mediterranean
    We have a Moody 425 with a Scheel keel and shallow draft. We have sailed it a lot over the last 4 years, covered much of the Med and crossed the Atlantic and are now in the Western Caribbean. The boat sails well offshore and we had many good daily runs, 4 days in the mid 170's so it's no slouch off the wind. We do not go upwind as well as a deeper keel but all in all it hasn't been that big an issue. We have sailed side by side with other 425's with the deep keel and we're faster than a couple of them and around the same as one other, probably more to do with the condition of the sails and trim than the actual boat. In the skinny waters around Belize we have come to appreciate the shallow keel so while my first preference would be for the deeper keel we are not disappointed in our decision to go for the shallow draft. We choose the condition of the boat and set the keel aside in our mind and my advice would be to do the same, it's a much wiser way to buy. The Moody's like all boats of this age require a good maintenance program and they can cost a lot of money if they have not been well looked after. Find an owner that has really looked after his boat and prepare to pay a small premium for it because in the end it will be the wisest money you will spend.

5. Michel Woog

Michel Woog Michel Woog

Boat name:
    AZURA
    Boat type:
    Moody 42
    Cruising area:
    Europe
    Hi Joerg,
    If you are still looking for a M 42 CC, please note that AZURA has now been put on sale.
    See the "boat for sale" of this MOA website, or go direct to http://www.belgi.net/KIRKAS/Azura.htm