Moody 37 Boom height Moody 37

Kate Taylor

Kate Taylor
Registered Guest
We are in the process of buying a Moody 37. On our test sail yesterday, with one reef in, I was concerned that the boom was head height. Is there anyway around this? Or are Moody owners adept at dodging the boom, and is this a skill that we are likely to gain?
Thank you

Dominic Dobson

Dominic Dobson
Boat name
RAMBLER
Berth
Gourock
Boat type
Moody 37
Cruising area
Clyde
Doesn't sound right are you sure reef was in properly it sounds like the rear reeling line wasn't tightened, we sail with a Bimini up and the boom clears this when reefed there shouldn't be any change in boom height when reefed

Peter Wright

Peter Wright
Boat name
WILD THYME
Berth
Suffolk Yacht Harbour
Boat type
Moody 425
Cruising area
North Sea, English Channel, Biscay
Hi Kate,

Dominic has the most likely cause of the problem, together with the possibility that the reefed sail wasn't hauled up properly to generate a good luff tension. If the boom Is still low when the sail is set properly, the cut of the sail is suspect. How old is the mainsail?

Peter.

Last edited:

Kate Taylor

Kate Taylor
Registered Guest
Thank you both. The main is 2002 and has been recut. She hasn’t been sailed for 4 years, and didn’t really want to tinker when she’s not ours yet and it was a F5. As long as it’s something adjustable that’s the main (sorry) thing. Katie

Peter Wright

Peter Wright
Boat name
WILD THYME
Berth
Suffolk Yacht Harbour
Boat type
Moody 425
Cruising area
Hi Katie,

So up to 2015 that main had 13 years use and was recut - I think it's time for a new one. I would only buy a new sail from a sail maker who is willing to spend time discussing my wishes and to measure my boat's rig before cutting cloth, that way you get a sail which sets well and meets your needs - recutting should not be necessary.

Peter.

Kate Taylor

Kate Taylor
Registered Guest
Thank you Peter - It was on the list of 'wants'. If this will make a difference to the boom height definitely become more pressing.
Kate

Peter Wright

Peter Wright
Boat name
WILD THYME
Berth
Suffolk Yacht Harbour
Boat type
Moody 425
Cruising area
Hi Kate,

I would check boom height for the existing main, with all the available reefs, properly pulled in, including no reef then make your wishes clear to your chosen sail maker for the new one.

In my racing days, I disliked the otherwise excellent Sigma 38s because the boom crossed at average head height for anyone standing in the cockpit - that resulted in a friend being helicoptered off to hospital during a race - it was 6 weeks before he was allowed home and he never sailed again.

Peter.

Kate Taylor

Kate Taylor
Registered Guest
Thank you-will do - those are exactly my concerns. It's just not safe
Kate

Dominic Dobson

Dominic Dobson
Boat name
RAMBLER
Berth
Gourock
Boat type
Moody 37
Cruising area
Clyde
Kate,
I'm sure you will but make sure that it's reflected in your offer

Tim Rothwell

Tim Rothwell
Boat name
KISMET
Berth
Dartmouth
Boat type
Moody Excel 34
Cruising area
SW, N Brittany, CI
Hi Kate
The boom was also dangerously low on our boat at the time of purchase. The sails were fifteen or sixteen years old, stretched and not very efficient. I considered getting a re-cut but in the end bit the bullet and had Crusader Sails make a new main, 135% genoa and a tri-radial 'chute for £4100 over the winter period. We now have an extra two knots on speed and a boom which is way above the danger zone plus a magnificent 'chute in a snuffer The new sails look so clean and bright!!! Time for a bit of haggling I suspect.