Moody 28 Buying a Moody 28

I am thinking of buying a Moody 28, of which there are few around. The one I may be interested in has in-mast furling mainsail which I believe was not an original fit. Does anyone have experience of this in a small Moody. Tbh, I am not a fan, for reduced performance (?), and issues if it should jam at inconvenient times. So any information gratefully received. Of course if anyone is considering selling their Moody 28 with conventional rig, it would be good to hear from you. West Country based, and serious buyer. Thanks. timbutler747@me.com

Hi Tim and welcome to the MOA,

As you say, in mast furling was definitely not standard on a Moody 28 and I doubt the value on yachts of this size. There are two ways it could have been converted from slab reefing to in mast:
The good way is to replace the mast with a purpose designed in mast furling mast, butthis isan expensive way to go
The economical way is to fit one of the rivet on after market product. While economical, this route increases weight aloft more than purpose built in mast systems and as the boat was not designed for this option, she doesn't have the ballast to manage it. By reputation these systems are ore liable to jams than a well maintained purpose designed in mast furling mast.

No furling system (roller genoa, in mast furling mains, in-boom furling mains) will work well if not given the benefit of regular servicing. This is not a requirement for engines alone but applies equally to the whole boat, including the rig. Blown out sails are also a common cause of jams on in mast furling systems.

Have you checked the boats for sale / wanted board on this site? It's currently listing 3 Moody 28's for sale:

although one was posted in July last year and owners do not always remember to delete the post when their boat is sold.

Good luck with your search.

Peter.

Hi Tim
Mine is one of the M28 boats still for sale, but I'm in Harwich which is a long way from the west country!
I've been sailing single handed for 17 years with a standard slab reefed rig without any problem.
I don't see any advantage of in mast reefing.
Rgds
Bob H

Thank you, both. It has confirmed my thoughts. It was an after-market rivet on, and as you say unnecessary for a smallish mainsail. And yes, I hadn’t thought about the extra weight issue, placed high up, and mildly de-stabilising. Not good. I’ll continue my quest elsewhere. A shame your boat is in Harwich, Bob. Just too far, and I suspect a twin keeler, for the East coast. Ideally looking for a fin, but ultimately I understand that the twin keels boats sail well, so I remain open minded. Who is it on sale with, it would be interesting to see anyway, as we never stop learning.

Best regards

Tim

Hi Tim
Actually mine is a fin keel.
I don't have it up for sale with any broker, only on this web site.
It is however the archive boat on the yachtsnet.co.uk web site.
Rgds
BH

Hi Tim,

I can't see how you consider Harwich too far from the W Country Falmouth to Harwich should be a 4 day delivery trip in a Moody 28, quite comfortably with overnight stops. We delivered Wild Thyme from the Clyde to Harwich via Lands End two up when we bought her, although she is a little larger than 28foot. I used to do passages between Dartmouth and Harwich regularly in my 33 foot Westerly, sometimes with overnight stops and sometimes non stop. Bob's boat sounds worth a look. You will miss out on many good boats if you confine yourself to looking in the West Country.

What's more, I see she's berthed in Walton Backwater so a visit to see her will introduce you to the beauty of Arthur Ransome's Secret Water.

Peter.

Slightly reluctant to raise my head above the parapet given the comments so far(!) but I am a Moody 28 owner with riveted on main furling. I recently had a new main made by Wilkinson Sails and it made a world of difference.

I have to say I must have been lucky with the furler so far - I haven’t yet suffered the potential issues with sails jamming etc although I’ve now jinxed myself for this season.

The most effective preventative maintenance I’ve found is a kettle of hot water over the furling mechanism at the base once in a while to wash away salt and general crud - keeps it turning reasonably well.

I have to say it made single-handing a doddle with all the lines back to the cockpit. I’ve no doubt I could do it with slab, but it wouldn’t be quite as convenient!

First time I’ve heard the suggestions of compromised stability as a result of the weight aloft - I understand the physics behind that. I haven’t sailed another 28 so can’t comment on the comparison but certainly haven’t felt disappointed in stability as of yet. Ignorance is bliss I suspect!

Hi Tim
Actually mine is a fin keel.
I don't have it up for sale with any broker, only on this web site.
It is however the archive boat on the yachtsnet.co.uk web site.
Rgds
BH
Hi Bob

Would it be possible for you to give me some more details of the Moody 28 that you may be selling? I have looked on Yachtsnet (archives), and there appears to be photos of two different Moody 28. One called Spray….but I see yours is called Swoosh?
Harwich not ideal, but for the right boat just about do-able. I can be contacted on either 07841872338 or timbutler747@me.com. Thanks.

Hi Tim
I didn't realise there were 2 M28 now on Yachtsnet. It's the one with blue cushions.

It's recently had:
New suit of sails and sail cover.
Sea cocks
Other stuff:
Cruising chute and boom
Dripless stern gland
Lawrence chart plotter
Garmin Sat nav.
Survey due 2024 I do have an old one you could view.
Engine and gear box professionally maintained by me (I am a sea going engineer)
Cooker
Sea Toilet.
TriData speed and depth log.
Fenders
Keel bolts recently overhauled.
Cutless bearing renewed last year.
Northstar VHF
Anchor with chain and warp.
Frame for dodger but needs canvas etc.
Auto pilot (untested).
Still original gel coat, no overpainting
No Osmosis either past or present, It is wintered ashore.
No heater
Dodger/sprayhood I have the frame.
Standing rigging is due a survey next year
Hatches are crazed but usable, one has a catch that needs repair.
There are 3 suits of sails, one with less than 5 hours on them, one is usable and one that is scrap.
Engine starter battery and domestic battery are good.
Upholstery is in good condition.
I was going to replace the lighting with LED this year.

I'm at sea at the moment but I'll try and get some more recent pictures to you.
I'm back in the UK on the 7th and it can be viewed out of the water up to the weekend, I'm hopefully going in the water after the weekend.

Rgds
BH

Hi Tim, I am due to advertise my Moody 28 Fin keel with Cove yachts of Weymouth. She is berthed in Portland marina if that is good for you.
Steve

Back