Moody 346 Buying a Moody 346

Ken Watterson

Registered Guest
I am new to Moody yachts and am considering buying a Moody 346 however in my internet searches I have found comment that the aft cabin is short of head room above the berth. Will this cause me a problem as I am 6ft 4in? Thank you

Ken,
I am 6ft 5in and had an M346 for 12 years. I have never considered the aft cabin headroom inadequate. Most of the time you will be either sitting or lying down.
However, as with most boats I found the bed a little short for me and since it is between bulkheads difficult to lengthen.
If that is a real problem for you perhaps a boat with an "island" bed in the aft cabin would be better; or perhaps choose the Moody35 whose bed allows for feet to extend beyond the bed.

Last edited:
I am 6ft 4in and have viewed a couple of Moody 346s with the same concern. I didn't have any concerns about the headroom in the aft cabin itself really, but the headroom of the walkway between the main saloon and the aft cabin is very low and that was pretty much a deal breaker for me.

Thanks chaps. My apologies for what might seem a slow response. We're on holiday and only picking emails up sporadically. Matthew, maybe I'll reconsider my choice. Can I presume the 28 does not have the same problem? She will on occasion need to sleep six.

Thanks chaps. My apologies for what might seem a slow response. We're on holiday and only picking emails up sporadically. Matthew, maybe I'll reconsider my choice. Can I presume the 28 does not have the same problem? She will on occasion need to sleep six.
Hi Ken, no, quite the opposite in fact! I was looking at 346s precisely because they are a bigger boat than the 28.

The 28 is a much smaller boat and despite the original specification being a 6 berth boat, I’m really not sure where you’d put everyone for any length of time!

As a tall person, I do think a lot of this is down to individual tolerance for contortion etc so if you can get to a 346 to see it in the flesh that would be your best bet. Here’s a photo of me standing next to the corridor to the aft cabin if it helps with perspective!

1685477254763.jpeg

Thanks Matthew, when I saw the 28 in your profile I assumed she was your current boat. No 346's here on our Island but will search one on our next trip to the UK. Best regards. kw@iom.com

Back