Moody 27 Buying. Bilge Keel 27 or 28

• Thread starter Malcolm Wharton
  • Start date
M

Malcolm Wharton

Happy New Year.
I have narrowed my boat search to a Moody 27 or 28 Bilge Keeler, to be based in Lymington. Could members please advise what I should look out for when buying. I have never owned a bilge keel before so not sure of their characteristics, particularly the structural integrity of the keels. All and any advice on what to look out for would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks and regards.
malcolm

I'm no an expert on the 27 or 28, although as far as I've noticed they are quite different boats. The 27 was built from 1981-85, the 28 from 1985-87.
I don't think you need worry about the integrity of the keels. Westerly had problems with some models, where the supporting hull structure allowed keels to splay out when the boats were in mud berths, but I have never heard of any such problems with Moodys. I'm on my second B-K Moody, both were/are in mud berths, no problem. They sail pretty well too, I can vouch for that having raced a Moody S31 B/K against bigger fin-keel yachts and astonished their owners to the extent that they couldn't believe we had bilge keels.

Thanks Dick.
in preference, I would buy an S31 as I think they’re really good, but my mooring option is limited to 28’.
Regards.
Malcolm.

The 28 is a lovely boat. Sails very well and has a surprising amount of room below although if you are tall you will stoop a bit. That said, the aft cabin is spacious and the quality of the interior finish is good.
They are relatively easy to work on and upgrade bits and bobs such as stern gland, fridge, electrics etc. Weak points are original fuel & water tanks prone to corroding and original engines now likely tired. We loved ours and had it for nine years, she looked after us (novices) very well.

Back