• We've just upgraded this forum to a major new version. It looks slightly different and has different menu options.

Please let me know if there are any issues you encounter with this upgrade, I'm still getting my head round it! Tolerance and a bit of time would be most appreciated.

Thanks Neil

Centre Cockpit Headroom To The Back Cabin

Ian Howlett

Ian Howlett
Temporary Member
Hi everyone, first post to this great website.

I am interested in knowing which Moody centre cockpits yachts have full standing headroom going into the back cabin. Particularly one's where there is no need to duck when you go through doorways. I used to own a Roberts 45 where you had to duck when entering the back cabin and I lost count of the number of time I banged my head! (I am 5ft 11").

I believe with the Moody 422/425 I would need to duck in the doorways. What about the Moody 44 (1990 version)? Any other Moody centre cockpit yachts 38-45ft that would have a least 6ft headroom, with no need to duck anywhere?

Thanks Ian

Peter Wright

Peter Wright
Boat name
WILD THYME
Berth
Suffolk Yacht Harbour
Boat type
Moody 425
Cruising area
North Sea, English Channel, Biscay
Hi Ian,

You're quite right in thinking you would have to duck when going through the doorways to the aft cabin on a M425 - I have to, and I'm only 5' 8". It's most unlikely that you'll find 3" greater headroom through the doorways on a smaller Moody, or even on a 44, but perhaps someone else will confirm that. I have no idea how it is on the Moody 46 and bigger, but I can confirm that going down into the aft cabin of a 86' sailing barge involves ducking or a sore head

I find that after clouting my head a couple of times at the beginning of the season, I seem to lean to duck and avoid further injury until next year comes around. I have also found that wearing a peaked cap when below causes a large increase in the probability of banging my head - I guess something to do with upward peripheral vision being obscured - so when sailing, I remember Mother's instruction - "take your cap off when you come into the house!"

Peter.

Duncan Hall

Duncan Hall
Boat name
GOOSE
Berth
Mayflower, Plymouth
Boat type
Moody 42
Cruising area
South Coast
I am a similar height to Peter and have to duck in the doorway of my aft cabin in my 42v

Peter Sims

Peter Sims
Boat name
SIRI
Berth
Ocean Quay Marina, Southampton
Boat type
Moody 44
Cruising area
Ionian
Hi Ian
I am 5'10" and have to duck through the doors of my 1997 M44 going into the aft cabin. Like Peter above I find the learning curve is quite steep if painful for a few days!
Regards
Peter