1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Just a reminder that you MUST provide contact details if you post a For Sale or Wanted notice. The reason is that non members have access to read your advert, but can't post, so if you don't provide details, they can't contact you to buy or sell.
    Dismiss Notice

Wanted Charts And Pilots For Uk Circumnavigation

Discussion in 'General For Sale / Wanted' started by Rick Spencer, 11/1/17.

1. Rick Spencer

Rick Spencer Rick Spencer

Boat name:
    INDIGO
    Boat type:
    Moody 35
    Cruising area:
    Channel and Further
    I'm planning a clockwise summer trip around the UK, leaving from Plymouth, sailing up the Irish Sea, and transmitting through the Caledonian Canal. I plan to be away from the beginning of June.
    I have charts and pilots for the South Coast, but need to beg, borrow, or buy for the rest of the trip. Can anyone help please?
    Rick Spencer@aol.com

2. Trevor Martin

Trevor Martin Trevor Martin

Boat name:
    DIGNITY TOO OF EDINBURGH
    Boat type:
    Moody 33 MkI
    Cruising area:
    Uk & Europe
    Buy CCC Pilots for the Scottish bit. Your not doing a circumnavigation going through the caley. The canal gives you free chartlet so no worries there. You are missing the best sailing not going up the west coast and over the top.
    When we did ours we used our Garmin chart plus pilot books but the Reeds Almanac is excellent. We had large charts just for passage planning.

3. Bill Oliver

Bill Oliver Bill Oliver

Boat name:
    TALADH A CUAN
    Boat type:
    Moody 36(90s)
    Cruising area:
    West Scotland
    When are you planning to leave? Once we get our boat back from the Solent ( April- ish) you are most welcome to borrow the charts and ( old) pilots we have from Lands End to Argyll.

4. Rick Spencer

Boat name:
    INDIGO
    Boat type:
    Moody 35
    Cruising area:
    Channel and Further
    Thanks so much for this Trevor. You are not the only person to tell me that I should change my plan, And I think I'm likely to take your advice and leave the east coast for another time. Very helpful, thanks again.

5. Rick Spencer

Boat name:
    INDIGO
    Boat type:
    Moody 35
    Cruising area:
    Channel and Further
    Hi Bill,
    Sorry for the delay, we've been away on holiday (my wife's treat for letting me go sailing so much) and just got back. I'm leaving at the beginning of June, having commitments here during May. I'd be very grateful if you were able to loan them to me, it would save a small fortune! I'm based in Exeter, but happy to drive to collect them? Thanks so much for even thinking about this.

6. Bill Oliver

Bill Oliver Bill Oliver

Boat name:
    TALADH A CUAN
    Boat type:
    Moody 36(90s)
    Cruising area:
    West Scotland
    Rick,

Probably be better for me to post them unless you want to drive to Argyll!

7. Rick Spencer

Boat name:
    INDIGO
    Boat type:
    Moody 35
    Cruising area:
    Channel and Further
    Oh gosh! Yes please! Whilst the thought of sailing up to you is attractive, the idea of driving up isn't! It's putting you to some work though, but if you don't mind then yes please! I'll of course reimburse you for the costs.
    My address is:
    Rick Spencer
    The Forge House
    Talaton
    Exeter
    EX5 2RL, and my phone number is 01404 823641.

Can you give me some more detail of what I should expect? I do have some pilots already, so maybe I should let you have a note of what I already have? Your thoughts?

8. Bill Oliver

Bill Oliver Bill Oliver

Boat name:
    TALADH A CUAN
    Boat type:
    Moody 36(90s)
    Cruising area:
    West Scotland
    I'm far away from the boat where the charts and pilots live but basically I'll have everything to get from the Solent to Ardfern..

9. Rick Spencer

Boat name:
    INDIGO
    Boat type:
    Moody 35
    Cruising area:
    Channel and Further
    Oh, I hadn't realised all that. Does that put this on the too difficult pile?

10. Bill Oliver

Bill Oliver Bill Oliver

Boat name:
    TALADH A CUAN
    Boat type:
    Moody 36(90s)
    Cruising area:
    West Scotland
    No, not at all.

I can't remember exactly what's on board that's all. Once we have the boat back home you are more than welcome to borrow the charts and pilots we are unlikely to need for some time.
    Should be home in plenty time to arrange to get what you need to you.
    I'll PM you a list of what we've got once I'm back on board.