Moody 44 (90s) Cockpit Moody 44

Paul Weber

Paul Weber
Registered Guest
We are thinking about buying a Moody 44 or even 38. Like the layout of the Moody44 and the possibility to get up to 8?! people on the boat. But seriously I guess the cockpit size is way to small for this amount of people. Does anyone know how many people can sit in the cockpit or what the actual size/lenght of the cockpit is?
Thanks, Paul

Peter Sims

Peter Sims
Boat name
SIRI
Berth
Lefkas Marina
Boat type
Moody 44 (90s)
Cruising area
Ionian
Hi Paul
I can measure the cockpit for you in the morning if the rain stops. Realistically 4 sit to eat at the table and that is pretty cosy. 2 more can sit behind the wheel but that is the limit.
The 44 is a great boat as far as I am concerned but I would definitely not want 8 people aboard other than to eat down below. Mine has 6 berths in the 3 cabins as I wanted the dressing room version in the aft cabin. Normally we are 3 aboard but it's pretty comfortable for short periods with 6.
Regards
Peter

Tony Bowler

Tony Bowler
Registered Guest
I would love to know the length of the cockpit seat if anyone can tell me. I love everything else about the boat but am concerned the cockpit is too small. Every boat is a compromise but it would be nice to be able to fall asleep on the cockpit seat :)

Peter Sims

Peter Sims
Boat name
SIRI
Berth
Lefkas Marina
Boat type
Moody 44 (90s)
Cruising area
Ionian
Hi Tony and Paul
Just remembered I said I would measure it. I had to go away the morning after I wrote that and only on my way back now. Hopefully I will remember to measure it in the morning but if it helps I can sleep on it and I'm 5'10"
Regards
Peter

Tony Bowler

Tony Bowler
Registered Guest
Haha no worries Peter, looking forward to hearing the results of your measurements, much appreciated :) I am 6'3" so a tad taller but my memory is about the same :/

Ian Brearley

Ian Brearley
Boat name
SERAPHINA
Berth
Spain / Mediterranean
Boat type
Moody 44
Cruising area
Spain / Mediterranean
No problem sleeping length ways. Transverse more uncomfortable as shorter and humped!

Ian

Peter Sims

Peter Sims
Boat name
SIRI
Berth
Lefkas Marina
Boat type
Moody 44 (90s)
Cruising area
Ionian
Seats are 6'4"at outside edge up to 6'7" at inside edge. 1'6" wide most of their length but narrow a little at the wheel.
Hope you find what you are looking for!
Regards
Peter

Simon Elwell

Simon Elwell
Boat name
MARMALADE
Berth
Shotley Marina
Boat type
Moody 44
Cruising area
East Coast
The secure nature of the cockpit is great at sea but less comfortable in harbour - where you get cockpit envy looking at the acres of space afforded by the modern, wide-transomed boats. Then you see the aft cabin; and spend a day at sea where you're able to hold on and brace comfortably without fear of being thrown eight feet across the wide open space - and your perspective changes!

Simon Elwell

Simon Elwell
Boat name
MARMALADE
Berth
Shotley Marina
Boat type
Moody 44
Cruising area
East Coast
We sail with two these days. Four in days past (kids) and six sometimes (guests). Eight berths, yes...but we bought the 44 so we wouldn't be playing sardines!