1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Hello All,

I have decided my next boat will be a moody. I am currently considering three boats and really trying to make a decision on the differences

M40 from 1999. Looks to have everything I need other than bow thruster which I would propose retrofit
    M42(5) from 2002. As above but not sure if the extra size is worth it for the "small" extra storage. Is there much difference in the sailing qualities/characteristics between the 40 and 42(5)
    M42(2) from 1987. This seems to be a small boat than the 42(5). Is that correct. Comparison comments with the other two re space etc would be helpful. In this case it is shoal draft. Will this have a noticeable effect on sailing characteristics.

They are all within budget so really it is simply a matter of deciding which one will suit my needs

Thanks in anticipation

2. Peter Wright

Peter Wright Peter Wright

Boat name:
    WILD THYME
    Boat type:
    Moody 425
    Cruising area:
    North Sea, English Channel, Biscay
    Hi Patrick,

Firstly, we have a 425, so I'm probably biased (but she's not for sale). We went through the same puzzle 6 years ago. While I liked the "proper" bulwarks on the 40/42 of around 2000 and the 15/16 rig, which should be closer winded, we seem to have no trouble pulling away from 40/42's on the rare occasions we meet them. Tacking a 145% genoa on a 425 in a blow is hard work, even with the 52ST's, some have addressed this with a smaller Genoa, others with a cutter rig - it all depends on the kind of sailing you want to do.

Don't be too ready to dismiss the storage available in the lazarette of the 425 and 42 - you need to take into account the absence of cockpit lockers in centre cockpit designs, so you need somewhere to store the inflatable, the cruising chute, the emergency tiller, the cockpit tent, warps, buckets, the kedge and its rode, deck scrubbers, etc. Our lazarette is full.

On the bow thruster issue, we have not felt the need in the UK, Channel Islands, Brittany, but this summer bringing her to Holland for the first time, box berths in a blow have tried my patience, so that may change.

Lastly, I have long held a view that a sea-kindly yacht should permit access to the chart table, the galley and e heads from the companionway without traipsing through other parts of the accommodation, so on a rough passage you can use all these features without dripping on bunks. Where the aft heads us purely an en suite, not accessible from the saloon, this need is not met, whereas in the 425, it is.

These boats are now getting on in years and you will find very different examples of each model, depending on how they have been refitted and upgraded by previous owners.

Welcome to the Moody world, it won't disappoint you.

Peter

Last edited: 12/8/16
  3. Peter,

Thanks for the info. From a storage point of view looks like the 40 is out.

I expect I will go the route of getting an inner stay fitted to make short racking easier and also provide an extra option for higher winds.

The other question was whether the shoal draft materially effects performance. I am thinks here more in terms of stability in rough seas than pure pointing.

Patrick