Non Boat Specific Considering a 346/35/36/376

• Thread starter Adrian Payne
  • Start date
A

Adrian Payne

Dear Moody Owners,

We are looking to downsize our yacht in the next couple of years and starting to do our research into our next yacht.

One question I hope that you could help answer is length and width of the aft double bunk on the 346/35/36/376 (I think the 38 will be outside what we want to spend).

So instead of viewing lots of boats and potentially wasting owners time etc. I thought I would ask here to help narrow/confirm our search. (Thank you for the guest loggin.)

Much appreciated in anticipation.
Adrian

Some background for general interest and any other points that as owners you think might be worth mentioning.

We current have a Swan 441 (1979) which he have had for circa 14 years now and have/are thoroughly enjoyed, but as daughter and crew start to do different things, it will be more usual just for the two of us to sail; and as lovely as our current yacht is its coming time for a different type of sailing. Friends have a Moody 41 and she is certainly comfortable...so.

Our main critera are:
- comfortable cockpit;
- comfortable double, with enough length for me at 6'1".
- easily manageable by two;
- two cabins (daughter will still come sailing occasionally);
- no teak decks ( I love teak decks but not again, far to much maintenance);
- shallower draft, 2.4m does restrict us;
- good quality yacht...no keel failures etc.
- cheaper maintenance, costs on boats are certainly exponential to length!!!

Hi Adrian,

I am sure others will answer with specifics, but it sounds to me like a Moody 36 would suit. She has the advantage of a centre line double berth in the aft cabin which the others don't have, and good headroom in the passage to the main saloon. You can get very shallow draft ones too. Have a look at the last Moody yacht site I salvaged (pinched) for a rough idea of the boats you are looking for.

https://moodyowners.org/home/moody-boat-archive/

The other thing is that if you give your location, I am sure some MOA member would welcome you to come and look around their yacht. Be warned though they will try and enthuse you.

Good luck

Neil

Thanks Neil,

The centre line double would certainly address the requirement for a "long" berth.

I think we will be looking for a fin keel; I will "need" some performance coming from a Swan. That up wind performance will be hard to give up. Our friends Moody 41, whilst appearing large, is certainly no slouch, but I can happily irritate him overtaking him even towing the dinghy :)

I'm based up in Wilts, but spend time for work in Portsmouth area, with our boat wintering in Cowes and summering in Plymouth (other than this year being in Brittany for a change of scene/wine prices!)

Cheers
Adrian

Adrian, if you want a bit more performance, consider the S31, S336 or S38. They are all aft cockpit "go faster" boats but don't have centre line rear berths. Personally once retired having a proper bed is definitely a plus for longer occupancy during the sailing season!

Kindest

Neil

Neil,

Many thanks for the thoughts and links; very helpful..

I've now been on a 35 and 36, with the 36 being much more suitable/larger as the difference in displacement suggests. I'm looking to get on a 38 later to compare between the 36 and 38.

Once we have sold our boat we will start looking. Suspect it may take some time but that's fine, as the 36 we looked at was advertised as good condition; not sure in who's eyes!

All the fun of yacht brokers to come.

Cheers
Adrian

h
Neil,

Many thanks for the thoughts and links; very helpful..

I've now been on a 35 and 36, with the 36 being much more suitable/larger as the difference in displacement suggests. I'm looking to get on a 38 later to compare between the 36 and 38.

Once we have sold our boat we will start looking. Suspect it may take some time but that's fine, as the 36 we looked at was advertised as good condition; not sure in who's eyes!

All the fun of yacht brokers to come.

Cheers
Adrian
Hi Adrian - wondering how you got on with this? We're in a similar position and it would be great to hear of your experience!
Best
Justin

Hi Adrian,

Beautiful boats the Swans. You've been spoilt!

I had a look at a 38 before I bought my 36.
My memory of the 38 (1990's) was having more room on either side of the berth in the aft cabin and of having the second heads forward.
It's been a couple of years since I was on the 38 but while it's about 5 inches broader on the beam, they were my most striking memories of the differences in size.

Regards,

Pat

Back