Moody 31 MkII Considering purchase, all advise welcome!

James Carter

Boat name
MARIE OF MALEW
Berth
Kemps Quay, Southampton
Boat type
Moody 31
Cruising area
Solent
Hello all,

I'm considering a Moody 31MkII, I'm off to view the boat mid-week is there any advice on common issues/areas of major concern I should be looking at? - I know I need to have a good look at keel bolt tops and around the baby stay - deck joint.

From the pictures:

The engine is original and looks to be in a poor state of repair, are these Volvo engines worth putting time into or should I consider it as needing a replacement? - If so, what are the recommendations (Beta marine 30hp?).

Hatch Plexi looks shot, not overly concerned as I've replaced hatches were necessary before.

The Interior looks tired (but clean), the wood looks like it may have suffered mildew/damp damage at some point, is this relatively straightforward to re-varnish/ stain etc?

Gear is all original, so I'm accepting that electronics will want a refresh, winches servicing etc.

How do these handle under power in close quarters (tight marinas etc)? - I sail single-handed or with my wife mostly, do people feel the need to install thrusters (possibly a bit extreme for a 31ft yacht!!) etc?

Very grateful for any advice offered.

Thanks, James.

James, welcome to the MOA. worth having a read back through similar questions that have been asked about the M31, here is one for example:

Turning to your concerns. If the engine starts and runs well once warmed up, then yes probably worth keeping it. Volvo made shed loads of them and spares are readily available from after market suppliers. You should Google the Volvo 2003 gearbox spline problem, but many have now been fixed with one of two mods. There is no cold start on this engine range, but a good battery and the right start technique will start these engines.

The keel bolts may not look great but they clean up well and experience from those who have changed them often shows the old ones are fine.

Damage to the woodwork can be tricky to fix. Getting the marks out of the original veneer finish difficult. You should also ask why is the boat that damp and for how long. Have the leaks been fixed? Likely the windows or chain plates.

They handle like a go cart and easy to park single handed. No need for a bow thruster. Can be turned with ropes easily and we have done on several occasions in really tight spots. Big enough to go cross channel in a good forecast whilst never had a problem getting in somewhere even at the height of the season.

Expensive when new and well built they hold up well.

Do you have a link, we may be able to add detail to the one you are looking at?

Pete

Last edited:
James, welcome to the MOA. worth having a read back through similar questions that have been asked about the M31, here is one for example:

Turning to your concerns. If the engine starts and runs well once warmed up, then yes probably worth keeping it. Volvo made shed loads of them and spares are readily available from after market suppliers. You should Google the Volvo 2003 gearbox spline problem, but many have now been fixed with one of two mods. There is no cold start on this engine range, but a good battery and the right start technique will start these engines.

The keel bolts may not look great but they clean up well and experience from those who have changed them often shows the old ones are fine.

Damage to the woodwork can be tricky to fix. Getting the marks out of the original veneer finish difficult. You should also ask why is the boat that damp and for how long. Have the leaks been fixed? Likely the windows or chain plates.

They handle like a go cart and easy to park single handed. No need for a bow thruster. Can be turned with ropes easily and we have done on several occasions in really tight spots. Big enough to go cross channel in a good forecast whilst never had a problem getting in somewhere even at the height of the season.

Expensive when new and well built they hold up well.

Do you have a link, we may be able to add detail to the one you are looking at?

Pete
Good Morning Pete,

Thank you for the welcome and the comprehensive response it is greatly appreciated!

This is a link to the boat I am considering: https://www.theyachtmarket.com/en/boat-for-sale/2254958/

I would say either not well photographed (or possibly tactically photographed) to not show too much, clearly a lot of (as a minimum) TLC required to bring her up to date / good nic. I'm not shy of a project boat, just want to understand how much of a project I might be getting into!

I am having a scroll through all the info on here a lot of great knowledge already shared!

Great pointer on the gearbox spline issue, I will now check the serial number to see if its an affected engine and if so if it has had the mods complete already.

After a late evening call with the owner I am now going to see the boat today!

Thanks,

James

James, having seen the price I was surprised by the condition which I thought very good. That seems a lot of yacht for the money compared to what we have seen over the past two years. Perhaps the market is stabilising. Certainly whilst the woodwork isn't mint, it is a 34 year old yacht and in what I would describe as quite good condition. Nothing that needs addressing straight away other than keeping it dry.

The engine doesn't look great, but has had a new fuel pump and alternator by the looks. Hours counter a nice touch. The engine could be a winter project to clean and paint. Prop has a rope cutter which is good.

Also seems to have shore power and hot/cold water which were extras and saves a lot of work fitting afterwards.

Sails are old, but again a winter job when the sailmakers are desperate for work.

Ditch the cooker and replace. Just done ours after getting nervous about gas. Same for fridge, one quick re-gas and if not then replace with a drop in kit about £350.

Draft is more like 1.6m - 1.7m, we had a discussion last summer about this for M31 yachts.

Would I buy it, subject to survey? Yes :)

James, having seen the price I was surprised by the condition which I thought very good. That seems a lot of yacht for the money compared to what we have seen over the past two years. Perhaps the market is stabilising. Certainly whilst the woodwork isn't mint, it is a 34 year old yacht and in what I would describe as quite good condition. Nothing that needs addressing straight away other than keeping it dry.

The engine doesn't look great, but has had a new fuel pump and alternator by the looks. Hours counter a nice touch. The engine could be a winter project to clean and paint. Prop has a rope cutter which is good.

Also seems to have shore power and hot/cold water which were extras and saves a lot of work fitting afterwards.

Sails are old, but again a winter job when the sailmakers are desperate for work.

Ditch the cooker and replace. Just done ours after getting nervous about gas. Same for fridge, one quick re-gas and if not then replace with a drop in kit about £350.

Draft is more like 1.6m - 1.7m, we had a discussion last summer about this for M31 yachts.

Would I buy it, subject to survey? Yes :)
Pete, I was equally surprised today when I saw her, needs a good clean through but I'm pretty confident I can step on board and sail back to my mooring in Southampton. I know the owner well and we agreed today on a price slightly under that advertised.

Should I have had a survey, almost certainly, but I felt the price was very fair and the boat right. I will be getting a survey done at some point for peace of mind.

The engine did fire up first time from cold without any complaint, quite smokey, white/light in colour after nearly an hour or so this had mostly cleared but never did completly, there was also a constant oil slick running from the exhaust, which I felt slightly concerning - but I dont know these engines that could be considered fairly common / normal?

no obvious signs of grp cracking around the chain plates / base of the baby stay which i felt is a real positive.

yes she has the hot water system, and it seems to work fine! Not quite sure what route I will take on the cooker, did you replace with another gas or go down the alcohol route?

She has carpeted sole boards which I'm not sure about - carpet on boats has always felt an odd concept to me. was this standard or is it likely a later addition?

I should probably get a full membership sorted now!

Congrats and we will see you out around the Solent :)

Insurance may or may not want a survey. If they do ask if a hull survey will suffice as this is cheaper and doesn't review the cosmetics.

Engine could be smokey because it hasn't been used for a while. Oil change with a basic oil, no synthetic and an Italian tune up, solved ours by motoring hard back across the channel with a storm on our tails. It's a 34 year old engine like ours, so don't worry about it.

We replaced the cooker with a hob/grill and a Ninja electric cooker. Did think about alcohol, but Domestic stopped making the Origo range and a good friend did warn me of sooty pans with alcohol.

Teak and holly floors would have been an optional extra. Keep the carpet if you like sailing all year round. They keep the boat warm in the winter and nice to walk on in the evenings. We have none slip carpet mats.

Pete

Attachments

• Hob and grill.jpg
    Hob and grill.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 176
Back