Moody 38 (90s) Do Moody 36cc/38cc make for a good off shore/trans-oceanic boat?

• Thread starter Ashley Briant
  • Start date
A

Ashley Briant

Hi all. My wife an I have talked about getting a sail boat for years. Now I have just turned fifty I feel now is the time before its too late. The Moody 38cc has taken our attention and think it may be a good fit for us. My thoughts are to sail and live aboard in the UK and Mediterranean for the first two or three years. I hear a lot about Blue water boats for ocean crossings. Could the members give me their thoughts and opinions if the moody 38cc or indeed the 36cc make a good off shore/trans oceanic boat? Thanks in advance...

Often sailing offshore has more to do with the skipper and crew than it does with the boat. I have no experience with the 36 but I have met owners of the 38 that crossed the Atlantic to the Caribbean. They were very happy with the boat and found it handled the offshore conditions very well. Good luck in your search for a boat. R

At a Solent MOA AGM John Rodriguez (yacht broker, website www.jryachts.com) and his wife (she actually gave the talk and excellent it was too) spoke about sailing their Moody 38 for years as live aboard and ocean yacht. I asked him, as an owner, if the 36 (90s) would also fit the bill and he said absolutely yes.
Noel

Hi Ashley, I have taken my 38 offshore in the UK and previous owners all over Europe. It is a very capable boat, even in rough seas. As for transatlantic, it could easily do it but there are better boats. When you get to the other side, the 38 would be perfect so it all depends on how often you expect to do the crossing. Cheers, Oli

We have just returned from the Turks and Caicos when our plan to leave the boat in Florida was rudely interrupted by ovid19. We sailed home via the Azores with no qualms. Our previous boat was a 43 ft Beneteau and it was interesting to compare the 2. The biggest problem with the 38cc was the lack of good ventilation for the galley under tropical conditions. This is really a big issue and although it could be solved with changing the window over the galley to an opening one it would be expensive. and still not totally satisfactory .
The Beneteau was more comfortable in a seaway as the extra 5 ft makes a big difference...I am sure a 47 ft boat would be even better! The other issue with the 38cc was a general lack of stowage for a long passage and we made a couple of minor adaptions ...1 Floors in the bilge for tool stowage 2 Deck boxes on the stern coachroof for junk generally.
We had our son and daughter on board for month and then another couple for another month and the boat does feel a bit small for 4 people for that long. Do let me know if you have any questions and in the meantime you can read our old blogs. The Moody 38cc is Jobiska on the Sailblogs site and our Ben 423 Gryphon on the mailasail site.
I would be tempted if you are planning for more than a year away to look at the Moody425. Look up "Until the Butter Melts" for one couple's blog.

Good luck with your deliberations, Chris

Hi Chris,

On Wild Thyme, our Moody 425, we cured the lack of ventilation in the galley by installing an opening portlight to the cockpit, an idea from another MOA member. I know the M36 & 38 are a bit smaller, but it seems that a similar job could be done.

Peter.

Back