1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Down Below Size?

Discussion in 'Thinking of buying a Moody ask a question here' started by Bill Dawson, 11/10/17.

1. Hi Moody people.
    My wife and I are quite smitten with all we see about the 1990's design of the 38 CC. But the 36cc looks pretty good as does the 42(and 425) . What we are wondering, having not yet had the opportunity to look at one except on our iPads, is, what is the interior feel from one to the other. Is the 38 the same as the 36 except for an extra toilet or does the whole inside feel bigger when sitting in the saloon area or when standing in the galley? And how much larger feeling is the 42 footer or even the 44. They all look like incredibly well designed boats. We are both keen and experienced sailors and want to do some fairly extensive sailing so feel that the 38 is likely the minimum size we should buy but if the 36 is almost the same, maybe that would be a more affordable option . Thanks, Bill Dawson

2. Dick Holness

Dick Holness Dick Holness

Boat name:
    CANTATA
    Berth:
    Swale Marina, Kent
    Boat type:
    Moody 36(90s)
    Cruising area:
    East Coast France Belgium Holland
    I don't think I can help directly with your question despite having looked at a 38 before we bought our 36.
    But if you live anywhere near East Kent you are welcome to look at our 36, if that would help.

3. Ian Brearley

Ian Brearley Ian Brearley

Boat name:
    SERAPHINA
    Berth:
    Spain / Mediterranean
    Boat type:
    Moody 44
    Cruising area:
    Spain / Mediterranean
    Hi,

Larger the better - more comfortable in a sea and for extensive cruising can carry more. Also good when you have visitors. Our 1990s 44 does the business well.

4. Bill Oliver

Bill Oliver Bill Oliver

Boat name:
    TALADH A CUAN
    Berth:
    Ardfern
    Boat type:
    Moody 36(90s)
    Cruising area:
    West Scotland
    We looked at 38's and 36's. The 38 is indeed bigger but not better for us as we feel it's not sensible to carry around a lot of empty space with the increased costs involved. We certainly don't need 2 heads in a 38 foot boat.
    Also the 38's we looked at well well worn and very optimistically priced..

For us as a couple with occasional guests the 36 is so far proving perfect.

5. Peter Wright

Peter Wright Peter Wright

Boat name:
    WILD THYME
    Berth:
    Suffolk Yacht Harbour
    Boat type:
    Moody 425
    Cruising area:
    North Sea, English Channel, Biscay
    Hi Bill,

As the other Bill says, no point in carrying empty space around the seas and incurring higher berthing costs if you Don't use it. However, if you want to make long passages, there's no substitute for waterline length. That's the basis on which we bought our M425 7 years ago and she hasn't disappointed. She will out sail the 90's / 2000's M40 and M42 as ratings clearly show, but none of them are racers.

As others have said, if the M44 had not commanded such high prices when we were buying, we would have been sorely tempted. Many, including I believe David Moody, regard that design as the queen of the Moody range and it's more modern swept back spreader rig allows a smaller sheeting angle for the headsail than our 425, making her closer winded. But beware the different layouts down below. Earlier 44's sport a daft saloon layout with 2 silly (imho) armchairs and no seat usable as a midships berth to make a good seaberth on a rough night passage. Only towards the end of M44 builds did Moody realise the error of their trendy interior design ideas and revert to traditional saloon seating which serves this purpose well. These examples seem to be much sought after and perhaps command a small premium in price.

Please note that the M425 is of an earlier generation than the other boats you're considering and the M44 lies in age at the boundary between the M425 and the M36 / M38 / M40 / M42 of 90's and 2000's.

If you haven't already found the Moody Archive, which gives basic details, including layout plans, of all the Moody range, you' ll find a link to it towards the bottom of the MOA homepage, on the left hand side. That should give you hours of pleasant deliberation.

You'll see that most Moody's are laid out as practical passage makers. By that I mean no wide open spaces either down below or on deck and plenty of hand holds. Also it must be possible to access the nav station, the galley and at least one heads from the foot of the companionway without needing to pass bunks and/or saloon seating in dripping foulies. I like my boats to keep dry and civilised below on the roughest of passages. Having worked as a delivery skipper in my youth, I don't want to go back to soggy bunks!

Peter

p.s. We're based at Suffolk Yacht Harbour and, Wild Thyme's now home for the winter. If you want to take a look at a M425, just shout. P.

Last edited: 12/10/17
  6. Peter Sims

Peter Sims Peter Sims

Boat name:
    SIRI
    Berth:
    Ocean Quay Marina, Southampton
    Boat type:
    Moody 44
    Cruising area:
    Ionian
    Hi Bill
    I endorse everything (the other) Peter says above about designs in general and the M44 in particular. I've had mine for a year now and it is both comfortable and practical. I avoided all the examples with armchairs in the saloon and the various odd table layouts and went for a late boat with traditional sofas and folding table which is perfect for us. Various visitors with aft cockpit boats have expressed surprise at how spacious and light it is down below.
    My boat is in Greece but if you passing this way you are welcome for a look
    Regards
    Peter

7. Wow, thanks so much for your speedy replies to my question about interior volume. And to the generous offers for a visit to your boats. Unfortunately you are a little far away for me at the moment in Canada, but we are making a plan to travel across the big waters next spring to have a look at Moodies. We love the 44 as well. And the articles on the web about it's passage making are great.There was a 38 on the market over here which is no longer for sale so we can't check it out. Having never had the opportunity to even sit in a Moody, that boat is what sparked my original question. And the price point seemed to fit. That question still hasn't quite been answered. When sitting in a seat in the saloon of the 38, does it feel bigger and more spacious than the 36? And does the 44 feel bigger and more spacious than the 42? Naturally the 40 footers will feel bigger the the 36/38's. And how about the difference between the 90's 38 and the 2000 38's? Bill Dawson

8. Bill Oliver

Bill Oliver Bill Oliver

Boat name:
    TALADH A CUAN
    Berth:
    Ardfern
    Boat type:
    Moody 36(90s)
    Cruising area:
    West Scotland
    The saloon in the 38 does feel, and is, bigger but I don't recall a massive difference.

I felt the aft cabin was more spacious and there is a big void space behind the bunk I seem to remember? A 38 owner can correct me on these observations as I only looked round some 38's.

9. Michel Woog

Michel Woog Michel Woog

Boat name:
    AZURA
    Berth:
    Dartmouth
    Boat type:
    Moody 42
    Cruising area:
    Europe
    Hi Bill,
    As others have said, yes of course the bigger is the better in terms of autonomy, comfort at sea, etc.
    Also the newer is the better in order not only to avoid small problems related to aging but mainly to benefit from more modern design.
    Combining the two my choice is definitely going to the M 42... but of course one important parameter is the budget since you cannot expect to fairly compare 36's, 38's or 42's at the same price level !
    Should you be interested in knowing more about M 42, please feel free to visit http://www.belgi.net/kirkas/azura.htm where you will find many details. Also please note that you are welcome to visit the boat.
    Anyway do not hesitate to come back to me for any further detail if necessary (mail addresses to be found on the website mentioned above).
    Regards, Michel.

10. Duncan Hall

Duncan Hall Duncan Hall

Boat name:
    GOOSE
    Berth:
    Mayflower, Plymouth
    Boat type:
    Moody 42
    Cruising area:
    South Coast
    I went through the same exercise about a year or so ago. The 38's were a little more spacious than the 36s but those we looked at were older than the 36s and were not as good cosmetically inside. I did feel that most of the extra space was taken up by a rather compact second heads whereas the head in the 36 was roomier. In the end I opted for a 42 as the headroom and space were much better.

I did not find one of the later 38s that only has one heads thus getting round the tight heads problem of the earlier models.

In my experience there is no substitute for looking round a few boats. For us the choice came down to a very good condition 36 or a 42 that has needed allot of work. We chose the 42 and has it has cost the proceeds of my Moody 31 to bring her back to a good condition, however that's what we expected to spend.

Regards

Duncan

11. Michael Barrett

Michael Barrett Michael Barrett

Boat name:
    WHITE STAR
    Berth:
    Fishing Bay Harbor Marina
    Boat type:
    Moody 46
    Cruising area:
    Chesapeake Bay, Usa
    I owned a 2002 38. The series of M38 from 2000-2002 had one head--a large one with a large shower that I miss. Double walk-thru to the aft and very spacious cabin--from the salon thru the galley or thru the head-shower. The extra 2 feet over a 36 will be noticeable and to me the extra cost in a world where everything is measured by the foot is not that onerous. For two cruising the M38 handles well, had plenty of power (54 hp on the Yanmar we had) and had a low mast (52) that eased passages on the ICW. If you are from Canada and thinking of going south, the M38 easily passed under everything on the ICW and drew only 4'9" (shoal keel). Plenty of storage, and if you put cut outs in the sole, you have a huge space under the sole for more storage. .

We moved up to a larger Moody. What we did not like was the salon--the drop leaf table in the center. I cannot tell you how many times I hit it. In port; under way, I ran into it. Yes, the two settees can be used for sea berths, but we did not often move at night. Our current Moody has the two arm chairs and a U-shaped dining table that Peter debunked, but we like it. Matter of how many night passages, I guess, and a fair criticism.

But go the extra two feet at a minimum.