1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eclipse 33

Discussion in 'Thinking of buying a Moody ask a question here' started by bonner john, 30/6/16.

1. what are the main upgrades mk1 to mk2.
    what prop would be recomended

2. Richard Readings

Richard Readings Richard Readings

Boat name:
    EMMIE
    Boat type:
    Moody 336
    Cruising area:
    English Channel
    I believe a major difference was the removal of the inside steering position in the mk2.

Richard

3. Paul Crickmore

Paul Crickmore Paul Crickmore

Boat name:
    JONIKA
    Boat type:
    Moody Eclipse 33
    Cruising area:
    UK West Coast
    The MkII removed the inner helm but kept the inner throttle. The engine control panel went outside, I believe and I assume that an emergency tiller was catered for (my MkI does not have the provision - the obvious location for the tiller on the top of the rudder post is smooth gelcoat on mine). It added an autopilot control head below and removed the dashboard area completely, moving the switch panel to a location beneath the starboard windows, rendering accurate viewing of the voltmeter difficult, apparently. This freed up a lot of space and an extra bit of work surface. Some people say it makes the galley feel more like a part of the saloon. Personally I would rather have had the area as storage space - one thing the Eclipse 33 lacks as there are no lockers on the sides of the saloon. I'm unaware of any other major differences.

If you're going to be viewing a boat, some of the things to look for are:
    • leaky saloon windows (mine did until creeping crack cure was applied),
    • rotten wooden support at the bottom of the mast compression post, (certain particular designs only, my MkI bilge keeler not being one of them),
    • condition of morse cables from outer helm (mine were rubbing against the steering arm every time I went to port lock - can be seen by removing the fibreglass headlining panel in the aft cabin),
    • the mast-foot blocks for the reefing line and the outhaul - they can be at such an angle as to make sail management a right chore,
    • condition of fuel and water tanks - the fuel tank is mild steel, painted and has a definite lifespan, the water tanks are aluminium,
    I really like my Eclipse and think you'd be hard pressed to find a similar length vessel with such accommodation and build quality (other than another Moody, obviously, for the build quality). Yes, she has quirks, like a noticeable list to port and serious prop-walk and you can't see forward from the inner helm if you put the dinghy on the foredeck, plus the aforementioned lack of saloon stowage, but I can't really see me wanting to exchange her for anything else, other than possible an Eclipse 43 once I've retired!

4. Neil Eccles

Neil Eccles Neil Eccles Executive Committee

MOA Position:
    Website Editor
    Boat name:
    CUTAWAY
    Boat type:
    Moody 42
    Cruising area:
    West Coast of France and North Coast Of Spain
    Hi Paul,

They really were a boat ahead of their time weren't they. All these deck saloons of today seem to hail from the French Evasions and the Moody Eclipse designs, together with the lovely old Caribeeners, although I am probably wrong.

Kindest

Neil

5. Bill Oliver

Bill Oliver Bill Oliver

Boat name:
    TALADH A CUAN
    Boat type:
    Moody 36(90s)
    Cruising area:
    West Scotland

I have fitted a Kiwi prop and am very happy with it.