Moody 27 Engine advice needed

• Thread starter Chris Rutt
  • Start date
C

Chris Rutt

Hi everyone,

A few weeks ago I saw a good looking Moody 27 which I was interested in, but I dismissed it because it had the original engine in (Penta MD7B) which I'm fairly certain is a £7k re-engine plus tow-in costs waiting to happen. She was lying ashore so I wasn't even able to see if it turned over although I was told by the owner it was fine.

Did I do the right thing??!

Chris

Hi Chris - that’s not an easy question to answer as so much depends on how well it’s been looked after. My previous boat was a 1981 Sigma 33 which still had its original MD7B. We had her for 7 years until 2016 and in that time she ran with no problems and all I had to change/repair was the starter motor and the injection elbow plus annual service. It is not a refined engine by any means but simplicity is good on boats imho.
I therefore wouldn’t dismiss the boat out of hand but do some basic checks such as a compression test and if that’s ok and it looks well maintained - ie not a rusty lump dripping oil and water - then I’d probably try to haggle the price down rather than give up if the rest of the boat ticks your boxes. If the seller won’t budge on price and/or there are other issues with the boat then it’s probably time to walk... it’s a buyers market just now so I’m sure you’ll find something.
Peter

Hi - thanks for the reply Peter. I went for her and now am the proud owner of a Moody 27. Had an inspection before purchase and it all checked out well. Have put about 4 hours on it without any issue. Couple of minor points to address but nothing major. I'll be sure to ask for you by name when I'm adrift off the needles ;)
Chris

Hi Chris,

Now you've bought her, it's time to upgrade to full membership so you can benefit from the excellent advice on here to get the best out of her.

First bit of advice - you've bought yourself a sailing boat - those white flappy things should get you home! OK, that was hardly excellent advice, but most of the stuff contributed here is.

Peter.

White flappy things, what white flappy things? Mine didn't come with any.

Wait, you mean to say I haven't bought a motorboat? I wondered why it took five hours to get from the Hamble to Portsmouth on Wednesday. Damn.

Erm.....Anyone in the market for a 27 foot not-motorboat with one recent careless owner?

Hi - thanks for the reply Peter. I went for her and now am the proud owner of a Moody 27. Had an inspection before purchase and it all checked out well. Have put about 4 hours on it without any issue. Couple of minor points to address but nothing major. I'll be sure to ask for you by name when I'm adrift off the needles ;)
Chris
Congratulations Chris! I hope you'll have many more happy hours... unfortunately I'm not likely to be the closest help :rolleyes: but if there is no wind to fill the 'white flappy things' my namesake mentions, I can offer a user manual for the MD7B and a workshop manual for the MD7A (nearest equivalent I ever found and pretty similar). I don't see them on this site so I've attached them in case your new pride and joy came with minimal such paperwork.
Cheers,
Peter

Attachments

• Volvo_MD6A_MD7A_Workshop.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 306
  • volvo_penta_md7b_ms2_120s_1981_manual.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 322
Chris, you jest but there is a M33 on the French canals with no mast and no chance of it going to sea or it would rock and roll terribly. They are asking £10k for it.

Thanks all for the information, especially Peter Fleming for the manuals. I actually have the original paper manual for the MD7B, but it is missing some of the later pages so that is extremely helpful!

Back