• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • We've just upgraded this forum to a major new version. It looks slightly different and has different menu options.

Please let me know if there are any issues you encounter with this upgrade, I'm still getting my head round it! Tolerance and a bit of time would be most appreciated.

Thanks Neil

EXCHANGE - Outboard motor

Bill Hodgkinson

Bill Hodgkinson
Boat name
ISOSCELES
Berth
Poole
Boat type
Moody 37
Cruising area
South Coast / Solent
Having just bought a new dinghy, I now find my outboard is too large for my needs and so I'm wondering if anyone has something smaller and would be interested in an exchange.

I have a Yamaha 5hp 2 stroke, it runs fine and hasn't let me down this far.

I want a small (probably 1.5 or 2hp) 2 stroke, I'm not worried about the make as long as it works and is light.

The outboard is currently in Poole, so I could meet anywhere in the Poole / Southampton area next time we are down there, but I live in Leicester so could bring the motor home next time we are down at the boat and arrange to meet somewhere in the midlands.

If anyone is interested let me know.

Thanks,

Bill

John Hawthorne

John Hawthorne
Boat name
BUNNY BEE
Berth
Fehmarn
Boat type
Moody 38
Cruising area
Baltic
Hi I know you said a 2 stroke but I have a nice little Honda 4 stroke

Bill Hodgkinson

Bill Hodgkinson
Boat name
ISOSCELES
Berth
Poole
Boat type
Moody 37
Cruising area
South Coast / Solent
Hi John, unfortunately I think that would still be too big We have bought a sea hopper type dinghy and the 5hp outboard nearly sinks the back end. I'd also rather have a 2 stroke, I know they are noisier and less environmentally friendly, but they are also easier to work on while afloat if needed when cruising.

edit: Sorry John, I read 4hp, not 4 stroke at first. I'm really hoping for an exchange option if I can though, as a nurse everything is done on a budget!

Last edited:

John Hawthorne

John Hawthorne
Boat name
BUNNY BEE
Berth
Fehmarn
Boat type
Moody 38
Cruising area
Baltic
It’s only a 2hp or 2.3 and very light, I’m currently away skiing but can send you more info after the weekend if needed