Moody 31 MkII Fin or Bilge? Wheel or Tiller?

Sam Tilley

Temporary Member
Hi,

I am looking to buy our first boat, and have settled on the Moody because its one of the few that i can stand up in (6ft 4), and my dad had a Moody 31 and a Moody 38 in which we had some fantastic trips.

I am looking circa 31ft to 33ft depending on what i can find. Initial desire was for a wheel and a fin keel, but i have just seen a nice 31ft with tiller and bilge keel. Just interested to see what people think is better, its for the Solent area but plans are to do some cross channel jaunts. From what i can see wheels are relatively rare on the 31ft, but that may just be the ones i have seen.

But any major pluses or minuses of either. Is there much difference between the handling on the different keels? Not particularly planning mud crawling but you never know if there is a nice pub at the end!

Thanks

Sam

Hi Sam,
I have a 31mk2, fin keel, which I converted to wheel steering.
The steering conversion was done to help my ex wife at the time, and my son, to be able to handle the boat more easily.
It definitely helps, and I have added a wheel pilot, which is excellent.
I cannot speak to the performance of the bilge keels, but I understand there is an amount of wave slap on the windward keel when heeled, and I think generally that the fin keel will point a little higher, but I have not tested that.
I know that there are purists that will declare that I have ruined the boat with the wheel steering, but for us, and how we use the boat, it is great.
Whatever you get, moodys are great boats, and you will not be disappointed.
Good luck and happy hunting,
Ben

Hi Sam and welcome to the MOA,

I've been called a lot of things over the years, but purist isn't one of them. I see little purpose in fitting a wheel to a 31 ft. yacht - it takes up a lot of valuable cockpit space, traps the helmsman behind the wheel and, particularly on a well balanced design like a Moody 31, is not needed to handle rudder loads. A tiller pilot will steer the boat just as well as a wheel pilot to free up another pair of hands. Most of all, a tiller gives so much more feel of what the boat is doing. I understand that on the Moody 31, a wheel conversion also takes space from the aft cabin.

Bilge or fin keel is best determined by where you want to sail her.

Happy hunting!

Peter.

Hi Sam and welcome to the MOA,

I've been called a lot of things over the years, but purist isn't one of them. I see little purpose in fitting a wheel to a 31 ft. yacht - it takes up a lot of valuable cockpit space, traps the helmsman behind the wheel and, particularly on a well balanced design like a Moody 31, is not needed to handle rudder loads. A tiller pilot will steer the boat just as well as a wheel pilot to free up another pair of hands. Most of all, a tiller gives so much more feel of what the boat is doing. I understand that on the Moody 31, a wheel conversion also takes space from the aft cabin.

Bilge or fin keel is best determined by where you want to sail her.

Happy hunting!

Peter.
Hi Peter,
Its great for Sam to have the alternative viewpoint.
I meant absolutely no offence to anyone, I hope it was not taken that way.
I think the great thing about boats is the flexibility to find what works for us as sailors in many different formats and hulls.
My aft cabin height I think may be better than one with wheel steering from the factory, as it is a bespoke headlining that I made, and is as low profile as I could make it.
Best wishes
Ben

Hi Ben,

Perhaps mistakenly, I took it as a compliment!

I'm with Peter regarding having a wheel in a (relatively) small boat. Our previous M31 mk2 had come with a wheel, and I was not impressed with it. Took up valuable party space!

David

Our S31 is a fin-keeled tiller-steered boat. I’ve never felt it needed a wheel. Indeed a benefit of a tiller (with extension) is that you can tuck in under the shelter of the spray hood while hand steering rather than being stuck out in the elements behind a wheel.

If the tiller starts getting heavy it’s a clear indication that the boat’s overpowered. She’s much happier and faster sailing flat.

Hi,

Thanks for your responses, its great to see a bit of passion!! I can see the benefits of both sides of the argument, personally i prefer a wheel, with a better position and the instruments right in front of you, but i can see the point that on a small boat it doesnt always make sense and that a tiller may give more feel.

Is it only the Moody 31 and below that has a tiller? Are all 33fts and above with a wheel? The answers have helped start to push me towards a 33ft instead of a 31ft, there seem to be some great deals for both.

Like the idea of the flexibility a bilge keel will get me, but it may limit precious sailing time having to work around tide times. So may just need to dig a bit deeper in the copper jar and find a deep mooring in the river or find somewhere in a marina.

Although a lot of the marinas seem to be full in the Portsmouth area. Do they tend to start to free up as people sell their boats towards the end of the summer?

Also i would be interested to see if anyone has had any positive or negative experiences with the Deacons Used Boat show coming up in a few weeks? They seem to have some great deals.

Thanks

Sam

Is it only the Moody 31 and below that has a tiller? Are all 33fts and above with a wheel? The answers have helped start to push me towards a 33ft instead of a 31ft, there seem to be some great deals for both.

Like the idea of the flexibility a bilge keel will get me, but it may limit precious sailing time having to work around tide times. So may just need to dig a bit deeper in the copper jar and find a deep mooring in the river or find somewhere in a marina.

Although a lot of the marinas seem to be full in the Portsmouth area. Do they tend to start to free up as people sell their boats towards the end of the summer?
Can only answer as a 336 owner with wheel steering believe the older 33s had wheels as well. The bilge Keeler is likely to have a slightly lesser draft when compared to a fin, so may be easier to find a swing mooring that is accessible at all stages of the tides. Re marinas in the Portsmouth area we are at Wicor at the top end of Portsmouth harbour, been here since April this year, when we made an initial enquiry they didn't have any space, then a space came up, which we were able to accept at short notice. I suspect apart from getting a quote until you get the boat they are unlikely to provide much info over the phone/email, best way will be to ask to be shown round, which shows you are a little more serious.

Hi Barry,

Is that the one by the Salt Cabin. Yes i have looked at that online and it looks really nice. Quite reasonable as well but they said they were full. Yes i agree they probably will want me to have the boat first so am prepared to do some last minute calling around!!

Thanks

Sam

Yes by the Salt Cafe, the are a number of MOA members up there. Downside is no electrical hook up, we are learning to live without and OK if you use the boat regularly.

Sam, having sailed both fin and bilge keel recently, I would be pushed to tell the difference. Perhaps in a race around the cans, but in cruising mode the skills of the crew and condition of the sails plus clean hull are likely to have a bigger effect. A group of young keen sailors are likely to out sail mum and dad, just out for a gentle sail. If the bilge keel slams then chances are the boat is leaning right over and the rail is in the water. It looks and feels fast but actually, chances are you are just going sideways. Putting a reef in and sailing her upright likely to be quicker to the pub for last orders.

We also added wheel steering because that is what SWMBO wanted. The boats are now 30 years old, so I would take some time to view a few and choose the nicest. The old Moody's yard used to have second hand boat sails during the Southampton Boat Show week, so perhaps have a chat to see if they are doing the same this year.

Pete

I just want to add my support for a tiller on a smaller boat.(mine is M29). We spend a lot of time in port and having the large cockpit space is a real bonus, which takes a camping table. I also agree with the feeling of the helm when sailing and knowing how much weather helm you have. The tiller pilot is easy to fit and there are many models available which will fit. There is more to go wrong with a wheel steering system.
Bilge keels are great for the Solent, as there are some places you probably would not go without them. It gives you comfort knowing if you dry out you will nearly always stay level. I also agree with the slamming effect, is often caused by too much heel, when the boat should be reefed. We have very rarely felt any slamming, and more often only when a large wave hits the weather side of the hull, which would be the same for a fin keel. A fin might point slightly higher and make less leeway, but it's hardly noticeable. Compared with a fin the benefits the bilge keel gives are IMHO better for South Coat cruising.
Of course, at the end of the day it's a personal choice.

Back