• We've just upgraded this forum to a major new version. It looks slightly different and has different menu options.

Please let me know if there are any issues you encounter with this upgrade, I'm still getting my head round it! Tolerance and a bit of time would be most appreciated.

Thanks Neil

Moody 37 Forward baby stay

Dominic Dobson

Dominic Dobson
Boat name
RAMBLER
Berth
Gourock
Boat type
Moody 37
Cruising area
Clyde
Looking at a boat which appears to have started to lift deck on forward babystay attachment has any one had experience of this and how to remedy
Thanks
Dom

Attachments

Peter Wright

Peter Wright
Boat name
WILD THYME
Berth
Suffolk Yacht Harbour
Boat type
Moody 425
Cruising area
North Sea, English Channel, Biscay
Hi Dom,

I don't know about the 37, but on the later Moodys with babystays the way the chainplate was secured to the deck was not one of Marine Projects better ideas, basically they welded the chainplate to a small length of tube under the deck then glassed in the tube with the chainplate sticking up through its slot. The load is taken by a fairly small area of deck. If the deck is bulging, it may be the same problem - not impossible to cure either by cutting out the original and replacing the tube with a large area plate going as far abeam as practicable or, better still replacing the babystay with forward lowers. Both options have been followed by members as described on the Info Exchange board, if you have access.

A bulge in the deck certainly warrants attention.

Peter.