Moody 40 (70s & 80s) General tips

Guy Forrester

guy forrester
Registered Guest
Gday,
Ive just inspected a 1981 Moody 40 up for sale today, first time aboard an older Moody. Overall seemed a very well set out boat, a few things that did worry me were:

- original 37 year old aluminium water tanks
- water had definately been leaking through chain plate penetrations in deck, no particularly bad corrosion evident but still seemed off
- bonding strap attatchment through hull to keel was via a steel fixing that has almost completly rusted off
- keel bolts also had a fair amount of surface rust and pitting..

I just thought i would post here for any thoughts on these issues, or any other known problem areas that I should be looking out for??

Thanks for your time,
Guy

Pete Rowland

Peter Rowland
Boat name
APRIL LASS
Berth
Gosport
Boat type
Moody 31 MkII
Cruising area
Solent
Guy, the old aluminium water tanks would be a worry and worth inspecting inside as would any water tank of that age. Worst case will be to replace with plastic from the likes of http://www.tek-tanks.com/ Do they have inspection hatches and will the owner allow you to look inside? worth asking.

The chain plate problem affects many yachts, I replace the sealing on the deck about every 5 years with more gloop. Takes an hour or so to do the 5.

For the bonding strap, if the boat doesn't have SSB HF Radio, then the ethos of bonding all underwater fitting has changed and now other than propshaft and p bracket, the through hull valves and keels are normally left isolated. 12v earths being connected to an external anode.

If the bilges are wet or have been then yes the mild steel keel bolts rust. Folk that have withdrawn them invariably report in perfect condition and its the nut surface which whilst looking bad is the extent of the problem. However, you could pay for a couple of bolts to be withdrawn if the owner agrees. He would want to be confident that there will be a sale if no problem exists, so worth having a chat either directly or via the broker.

Peter Wright

Peter Wright
Boat name
WILD THYME
Berth
Suffolk Yacht Harbour
Boat type
Moody 425
Cruising area
North Sea, English Channel, Biscay
Hi Guy,

Are you sure it was a keel bonding strap that you were looking at? Those who wish to bond the keel to the ship's earth / battery negative usuaslly attach a cable to one of the keel bolts, but mostly the keel is not bonded these days. For an SSB radio, you should really earth through a proper copper ground plate, not the keel. Could it have been the sacrificial anode connection you were looking at? If so, you can buy a replacement mounting with studs for a few pounds. It should be fitted as shown here:

http://mgduff.co.uk/support/fitting-instructions/wooden-and-grp

Peter

Guy Forrester

guy forrester
Registered Guest
Hi all,

Thanks for the quick replys.

So it doesn't sound like I need to be too worried about the keel bolts and chain plates then, which is great.

I'm fairly sure the old water tanks will need to be replaced, but the way they are mounted in the sole it wouldn't be too big a job.

I believe that I was mistaken in what I wrote about the 'keel bonding strap'. The boat has a HF radio and I'm now thinking it was the keel being attatched as the ground plate via a 3inch copper strap. From what I understand this isnt a great setup for the SSB and may need to be redesigned anyway. I will be viewing the boat again in the coming days, so will have another look with more of an idea what I'm looking at..

Is there anything specific that you could recommend paying attention to with an older Moody like this?

Thanks for your time,
Guy