• We've just upgraded this forum to a major new version. It looks slightly different and has different menu options.

Please let me know if there are any issues you encounter with this upgrade, I'm still getting my head round it! Tolerance and a bit of time would be most appreciated.

Thanks Neil

Genoa for sale suit M35 or M346

David Rymer

David Rymer
Boat name
CARIAD
Berth
Mylor
Boat type
Moody 346
Cruising area
South West
110% Genoa originally for M35 but modified for M346.
Modification involved shortening the head by approx 4"
A nice sail, still crisp, with good uv strip.

Last edited:

David Rymer

David Rymer
Boat name
CARIAD
Berth
Mylor
Boat type
Moody 346
Cruising area
South West
Surely someone must want a lovely Genoa

Chris Burn

Chris Burn
Boat name
Cristobella
Boat type
Moody 34
Cruising area
North Wales / Irish Sea
A guide as to how much you would like for it ? ...... or is it free

Brian Robertson

Brian Robertson
Boat name
TIDECATCHER
Berth
Granton, Edinburgh
Boat type
Moody 31 MkII
Cruising area
Scotland East Coast
Hi David,
Do you happen to have the dimensions of the sail,
thanks,

David Rymer

David Rymer
Boat name
CARIAD
Berth
Mylor
Boat type
Moody 346
Cruising area
South West
Hi Chaps,
Very weird I posted a reply a couple of hours ago, but it's disappeared I'll try again.
David

David Rymer

David Rymer
Boat name
CARIAD
Berth
Mylor
Boat type
Moody 346
Cruising area
South West
Hopefully this will work.
The sail is a Jeckell 110% Genoa originally made for a M35. As built the luff was 12.2m but I had it shortened at the luff top to match my Genoa which resulted in approx 100mm being chopped off. The sail was checked and serviced last winter, and I was so pleased with the smaller sail that I left the sailmaker having ordered a new suit of sails as the old main was original and well past its use by date. The Jeckell sail is still crisp, has nice shape and balances the boat better. I paid £200 plus the modification so was hoping to sell in that region if either of you are interested
Thanks for your interest
David

Brian Robertson

Brian Robertson
Boat name
TIDECATCHER
Berth
Granton, Edinburgh
Boat type
Moody 31 MkII
Cruising area
Scotland East Coast
David,
Many thanks for your response. I am only just getting used to my M31mk2 which I recently bought, but I have noticed that the genoa which came with the boat (Jeckells - 2011) has an unusually high clew. The sail is a nice sail, but I suspect that the leech has been made too short so the sheet is unable to pull the sail at the correct angle. This seriously affects the shape of the sail, which subsequently affects the ability of the boat to point.
Your sail is about 1 metre longer than mine in the luff so it would require to be altered to make it suitable for my boat.
I am never the less still interested in your sail but I am currently in conversation with my local sailmaker to seek his advice so I'll get back to you as soon as I can if I wish to pursue this,
many thanks,

David Rymer

David Rymer
Boat name
CARIAD
Berth
Mylor
Boat type
Moody 346
Cruising area
South West
Hi Brian,
By the sound of it it would seem to require a lot of alteration, and you raise a valid point about the foot of the sail which I forgot to mention. On my boat the foot is parallel to and just the same level as the top lifeline. This gives what I feel is a good modern appearance, but does require a good lookout to ensure nothing is approaching in the blind spot. Hope this helps
Regards
David

Brian Robertson

Brian Robertson
Boat name
TIDECATCHER
Berth
Granton, Edinburgh
Boat type
Moody 31 MkII
Cruising area
Scotland East Coast
Thanks David,
Yes, a valid point, but I prefer that the genoa should be level with and parallel to the top lifeline. In my (admittedly limited) experience this allows a better flattening of the foot of the sail which generally allows better pointing. I appreciate that there are many other factors as well but, generally speaking, if your genoa has a belly in it when you are sailing close hauled (like mine) then you are never going to be able to go efficiently to windward. From your description of your sail, taking 1m off the foot of it would make it fairly close to what I require. Its probably a days work for a decent sailmaker.
I'll seek advice on it and get back in touch if it's a possibility (and that's if no-one else takes it before me) !
best regards,
Brian

David Rymer

David Rymer
Boat name
CARIAD
Berth
Mylor
Boat type
Moody 346
Cruising area
South West
Ok Brian
Thanks very much,
Hope to hear from you
David

Brian Robertson

Brian Robertson
Boat name
TIDECATCHER
Berth
Granton, Edinburgh
Boat type
Moody 31 MkII
Cruising area
Scotland East Coast
Hi David,
I've just met with my local 'Hyde' agent and we have gone over our options for altering my sail to give a better sheet angle. He considers that he could alter my sail without too much trouble. Although I would still be left with a sail with a fairly high clew, the boat will point better into the wind, which is what I am really after.
We spoke about your own sail but his view was that it would take a considerable amount of alteration to make it suit my boat, so on a practical level it wouldn't be worthwhile. So, I'm sorry to have to withdraw my interest but I do hope that you manage to find someone to take it off your hands. For a 'crisp' and little used sail it is a great offer for someone!
best regards,
Brian

David Rymer

David Rymer
Boat name
CARIAD
Berth
Mylor
Boat type
Moody 346
Cruising area
South West
Hi Brian,
Yes I quite understand. Aside from making it fit there would also have been the logistics of getting the rather bulky and weighty sail the length of the country.
I hope you get your sail modified and working.
Best regards
David