AQUILO
Berth
Conwy
Boat type
Moody 346
Cruising area
Irish Sea
Hi all,

I think I have found a 346 I would like to buy. All looks good (maybe the engine could be better...), however all 3 hatches have significant "crazing" on them (attached a pic of one).

I did see another 346 with a similar issue on all windows and hatches, but that was a mess overall, whereas this one looks in good condition generally.

Is this a big deal? If they could do with replacing what sort of cost is it to replace hatches?

Thanks!
20231015_095011.jpg

My M346 and M425 had similar crazing, as most boats eventually do. It is caused by UV exposure and is not structural. I did not mind it and found that it had the advantage of providing some privacy at night when the cabin is well lit.

Last edited:
In contrast to Jeff, I dislike crazed hatches but you can get them reglazed by several different firms in the UK e.g.

There are quite a few others, some of whom offer discounts to members of the MOA, you can check which ones on this site.

It's worth removing the hatches and fitting temporary covers to make secure and keep the weather out yourself. You can do the whole job yourself if you want, but I prefer to let professionals do the glazing. It will make a saving if you use a contractor not too far from you and deliver / collect the hatches yourself.

If you get an indicative price from one of these firms, you could use it to help negotiate a price reduction with the vendor.

Peter.

Crazing wouldn’t concern me as long as they are watertight
My 346 has crazing on all 3 hatches and on my “todo” list but something else always needs my attention.
The crazing is cosmetic rather than a real problem.
They’re good boats..enjoy!?

Back