Non Boat Specific Headroom in cc's

• Thread starter Stephan Czapiewski
  • Start date
S

Stephan Czapiewski

Looking to buy a centre cockpit, found the headroom in 346 too tight throughout, I'm 6ft 2".
Can anyone tell me the headroom in 376? Stooping to access aft cabin not an issue, but saloon and at least 1 head for showering is.
Or advise if I need to go for something even bigger?
Many thanks

Hi Stephan,
I am 6 ft2" too - cabin headroom is an issue with many boats and bunk length is also often limited.
M346 and M35 didn't seem to differ much, I did not yet check the M376.

My only guidance is also to look for "compromises" - in some boats you can stand up at least at some places (e.g. below hatches, even if they are closed).
Cushioning some edges makes living also more enjoyable.
True, and for sure every boat is a compromise, but for 6 months a year, i would prefer a live aboard and not a stoop aboard...ultimately the budget will decide...on deck, trimming the foot or changing luff angle to 86degs does the trick for very small loss in sail power/performance...sadly bare foot and head shave doesn’t down below...
But thanks for the positivity

Hi Stephan,
Ocean Dancer is a 376. The accommodation is wonderfully spacious and we seriously love the boat for two of us. This summer we lived onboard for 4 months, unhurriedly cruising some 800 miles in considerable comfort.

I’m 6 ft ... there’s full headroom for me (with a couple of inches to spare) throughout the main saloon and galley.

There’s also sufficient headroom for me in the aft (owner’s) cabin, but not the extra inches for you.

Both heads have sufficient headroom for me, but again you’re 2 inches taller, which would be tight.

The forward cabin is a bit low for me, but in practice I don’t go in there often and I haven’t found it a problem.

The principal snag for you is that the double bunk in the aft (owner’s) cabin is *just* 6 feet long .... I don’t think it would be comfortable for you at 6 ft 2 inches.

I have heard that some live-aboard owners have reorientated the double bunk so that it runs athwart-ships. That would give ample length for you. I haven’t needed to make the change, but I feel it would be within my (fairly elementary) shipwrighting skills were I to want to do so.

Good luck with your search.

Roy

Hi Roy, and many thanks for your detailed reply, helps enormously. I was very taken by the design of the 346, but I felt I was in a hobbits boat...sort of small but perfectly formed.
Sounds like the 376 may well be the boat!
Sounds like you are very happy with Ocean Dancer, though for a moment I thought it was a variation on a Westerley...
I now need to hunt down a 376 to try her on for size and start the "project"

Hi Stephan, see if you can find a Moody 34 EXCEL, it has more headroom than a 346 and a bigger rear cabin bunk. I have a number of tall friends who are impressed with the space available. The snag may be finding one because they only made about 20 or so of that particular model and finished the run in 2001 when Prout's went broke.

We viewed the 346 and 376 before buying our Moody (eventually found an older 39 which was right for us).
The 346 was a little disappointing on headroom, although it does pack a lot into a short boat. The main issue was with the galley, which is partially within the walkway.
On the 376 the galley is wholly within the saloon so has much better headroom.

Hi Stephan,

I too had a look at the 346 and found the entrance to the aft cabin very low and the saloon dark even though the headroom was ok for me in the rest of the boat.
My 36 (90's) is much easier to get into the aft cabin and while the headroom is ok in the rest of the boat and much brighter I believe it's only 6 foot which is ok for me at 5ft 11.5 ins.
The galley is a bit tight as the cooker is at the aft end of the galley.

Back