Moody Eclipse 33 Headroom Moody 346/35

• Thread starter Hywel Evans
  • Start date
H

Hywel Evans

Sorry to repeat an old thread but Corovirus has made it difficult to view yachts and your insights could save a 200 mile round trip. Could someone please tell me how much headroom there is in the saloon, heads and galley of: 1) Moody Eclipse 33, and, 2) Moody 346/35 please? Perhaps a better question is: where on these yachts would a 6ft person have to stoop? Many thanks in anticipation.

Hi Hywel,

I’m 6’1” and your question was also a consideration for me in choosing our 346. I cannot give figures for headroom, but I can say how it works for me.

If I stand parade-ground erect then I can only stand upright in the centre of the saloon and my head will still touch the headlining. However, without any Sgt Majors on board, my usual more relaxed stance gives me sufficient head clearance to be comfortable. As you move outwards then headroom does slightly reduce due to curved coachroof, but before it becomes an issue you are likely to be seated anyway.

In the Galley, the sink is in the max headroom area so is fine, the cooker is also in the high headroom area, but to the Starboard side so is slightly lower, but I don’t find it a problem. The Fridge is in the passageway thru to the aft Cabin and is necessarily low as it passes under the cockpit seating. This is not somewhere you can stand, but is perfectly acceptable for fridge access which invariably requires you to be bent over to rummage for the item you want which always seems to be at the bottom of the fridge!

The heads I’ve never considered an issue - it’s not a big space but has headroom similar to in front of the cooker. TBH I don’t spend much time in there... and my longer visits normally require me to be seated anyway.

It’s also worth mentioning the aft cabin. The passage thru as already mentioned is low and once inside, although headroom increases again, it’s not standing room for anyone near 6’. However, with the benches to use while dressing/undressing, I don’t feel the need to stand up much, and more importantly the bed is very generous and I have plenty room to lie straight.

In summary, any boat of this size is going to be a balance of compromises, but IMHO I think the 346 got that balance spot on... I did buy one after all. The only similar boat that I found that had better headroom was a Westerly Seahawk ... but there were other compromises in that design which outweighed the headroom for me hence I went for the 346... and I don’t regret the decision in any way.

I should add that I didn’t look at the 33 Eclipse as I didn’t want a deck-saloon design but I’m sure someone else will comment on that.

Hope that helps - happy hunting!

Peter.

Many thanks Peter - very helpful. Cheers Hywel

Hi Hywel,
I'm a 6'1 E33 owner. I can stand comfortably in the aft cabin, saloon and galley. I can't in honesty remember about the heads. It's level with the galley but has a ceiling for the part under the 'windscreen'. This is where the throne is anyway, so I tend not to be standing in that location. I can stand in the forepeak if I'm under the hatch (even when it's closed). Hope this helps.

I'm the opposite to Peter: I definitely did want a deck saloon design. and IMHO think Moody got the E33 spot on as well ... I did buy one after all. :) It's roomy enough to work as a live-aboard and the deck saloon ensures it doesn't feel claustrophobic. The heads is palatial for a 32'6 yacht. The compromise is storage: the forepeak is well-equipped with a hanging locker, shelved locker, drawers unit, 3 above berth lockers on each side and a wet locker beside the door into the heads (yes, it's en-suite) plus under-berth storage for sails, etc. The aft cabin has a small hanging locker and various nooks, crannies and those open cave shelves that probably have a proper name I don't know. It's fine for guest use or to transfer a week's worth of gear into.
The real issue is the saloon. There's no wall storage above the seating and a week's worth of provisions will quickly fill the majority of the under seating storage which is already limited by the fridge taking up about 1/6th of the space. Tools and spares take up another 1-2/6ths. The galley has enough space for all the cooking and eating gear and perhaps a few dried goods in the little shelves behind the oven and sink. There's no storage below the saloon sole, the water tanks and batteries eat it all. It can be made to work, but provisions are best put in in the reverse order to planned usage.

As an aside: the forepeak berth is plenty long enough but I have to sleep diagonally across the berth in the aft cabin (which since one side is about 4" shorter than the other isn't really suitable for a couple unless they're of rather uneven heights). This makes the aft cabin my normal location when going out with others - a couple share the forepeak, I go in the aft cabin and if I'm packing them in, another couple can easily sleep in the saloon. (Storing bedding becomes an issue at that point - I tend to dump bedding from the saloon in the aft cabin.)
The specs often state the E33 sleeps up to 5. I assume that's supposed to be 2 aft, 2 fore and one in the saloon, but the seating is easily wide enough for two, and could be a good 4-5" wider if you removed the backrest cushion, which also gives you an extra 4-5" of length. Depending on how friendly everyone is and what height they are, you could sleep 6.

Last edited:
Thanks Paul - very helpful comments.
Gentlemen, I feel as if I can now talk with authority, about the headroom in both yachts - without having been near them!
Thank you for your extremely useful insights. Now I’ve just got to find a boat that keeps the “uneven height” happy.
Cheers
Hywel

Back