Moody 38 (90s) Holding tank

• Thread starter Mikael Karlsson
  • Start date
M

Mikael Karlsson

Hi,
Does anyone have experience in installing a holding tank in a Moody 38 (cc)?
What size is possible and where?

Hi Plenty of this model have holding tanks fitted originally and as retrofit. Do join us and you will find lots of articles about it

Mikael,

Yes, it can be done. Actually, with the M38, with two heads, you have decide which one to equip with a tank.

Depending on your choice, there are different solutions (bow lockers, lazarette or transform a hanging locker).

To avoid confusion - there doesn't appear to be a fully-documented retrofit article yet, but there are some discussion threads concerning this topic, discussing these alternatives (and the installations made by some owners).

As you might already know, a one-year temporary membership is available even to non-Moody-owners and allows access to all forums (including the technical one).

Hi Mikael,

Better still, if you own a Moody, why not join as a full member? GBP22 per year is peanuts in terms of the cost of running a 38 foot yacht. I joined before we bought our Moody 425 11 years ago. It helped us choose the right Moody to buy and we have saved more than 11 x £22 in that time through advice received on this forum.

Peter.

Generally, when answering pre-purchase questions, remember to think also about cases like me:

I did look at Moodys some two years ago, being then temporary member for one year, and when looking again last autumn, to my understanding, a 2nd temporary membership is not supported by the rules, neither is a full membership without owning a Moody.

So "join the MOA and then you'll see" would not have been helpful. :)

Of Moody-related pre-purchase questions, lack of holding tank is a very important one, because it is a mandatory requirement in many countries and only a fraction of Moodys have been delivered with one installed. Thus, it can be a show stopper for a purchase.

Thank you for all of your replies. Yes, the holding tank is an important issue when considering to purchase a Moody. As Ville wrote it is mandatory in many countries to have one.
In sum, it is possible. How is still a mystery but if I buy one and become a full member I will find out.

Well, I wouldn't say mystery, rather engineering routine, like in any slightly older boat: You would have to select one the three possible locations and sacrifice some space there.

Off-the-shelf tanks have regular shapes and are cheaper, custom tanks can be roto-moulded or welded (colder climates/low salinity) in any custom shape. The tank needs four connections: Toilet seat, pump-out (suck-out) on deck, pump-out to sea, breather. These can be routed below the floorboards or on/behind furniture.

That said, if you are really interested in the M38 and want to have a good picture of strengths and weaknesses, in particular regarding typical maintenance issues, repairs and upgrades, it really makes sense to read through the forum messages as temporary member (no boat required). That's what I did, and thanks to that, I am now an excellent amateur surveyor of M346, M35 and M36. ;)

Hi,
Does anyone have experience in installing a holding tank in a Moody 38 (cc)?
What size is possible and where?
Hi Mikael,

The tank in my M38 is a retrofit from Tek Tanks I believe (Before I bought her). It's an 86l tank and it's installed under starboard forward berth. This is connected to the forwards heads. There is a Y valve that diverts any waste from the toilet to either the tank or directly out.

In order to pump the tank there is an electric pump that is switched via the forwards heads to empty the tank. There is also a tank fill level gauge in the forward heads too. All in all it works very well. However, the pump is known to get a little stiff so you have to coax it via a little screw at the back of the pump so it immediately starts pumping.

Some other boats have their tanks elsewhere such as in the aft bedroom.

Check out Tek Tanks for details on what they offer. Here's the link to their solution for my tank location https://www.tek-tanks.com/product/moody-38-waste-2/ They have drawings available for a fee.

BTW search Moody 38 on there for other options.

Hope this helps!

Andy

Would any of you know the approximate cost of fitting a tank in a M36CC?
Tektanks have the unit for the M36 but I can't find any detail of how complex (expensive!) it is to fit.
Thankyou,
Simon

Back