Moody 37 How to check/repair the chainplate knees?

Nick Tyler

Wendy Tyler
Boat name
PAPER MOON
Berth
Plymouth
Boat type
Moody 37
Cruising area
Uk Southwest
Hi,
I am looking to buy my first boat, a Moody 37, built in 1985.

The survey says that the chainplate knees are suspect, as well as the point where the babystay goes through the coachroof.

Also, the hull apparently needs drying out, but has a clear epoxy coat, which might slow down the drying.

Has anybody got any clues/tips/advice on how to go about this? I saw a PBO article earlier in the year about replacing the knees on a different boat, and it looked like quite severe surgery.

Would this put me off buying?

Thanks

Paul Mear

Paul Mear
Boat name
GUSTO
Berth
Shotley Marina
Boat type
Moody 31 MkI
Cruising area
East Coast
Nick,

All these things are repairable but the costs can vary enormously depending on the extent of the defects. If you are looking to buy, I suggest you (or preferably the seller) gets detailed quotes for the work and offset that against the purchase price. Or better still, get the seller to complete the work to the satisfaction of your surveyor prior to purchase.

Nick Tyler

Wendy Tyler
Boat name
PAPER MOON
Berth
Plymouth
Boat type
Moody 37
Cruising area
Uk Southwest
Thanks Paul,
Waiting on Surveyor's report for details. Will keep this thread updated.

Dominic Dobson

Dominic Dobson
Boat name
RAMBLER
Berth
Gourock
Boat type
Moody 37
Cruising area
Clyde
Nick,
Recently had forward baby stay repaired on 37 £1000 for removal, renewal and strengthening of bar under deck and repair to gel coat, photos attached of original bar and reinforced. I removed internal joinery to save on cost

Attachments

Nick Tyler

Wendy Tyler
Boat name
PAPER MOON
Berth
Plymouth
Boat type
Moody 37
Cruising area
Uk Southwest
Closing this- it looks like I got lucky. :) Post-purchase, I found inspection ports had been cut into the cupboards for the rear sidestays, and the baby-stay chainplate has been replaced with a substantial piece of what looks like mild steel. (See photos).
I don't supposed I will ever find out who did the work or when, but it appears that this fairly common fault has already been sorted. 20181104_111729.jpg 20181104_111743.jpg 20181104_111812.jpg 20181104_111835.jpg