Boat name
SHAMROCK
Berth
Blackwater Sailing Club
Boat type
Moody S31
Cruising area
Blackwater
Is there a list of Moody S31 hull numbers anywhere?

I don't think so, Steve. There are factory lists that we have for some models showing the 'build numbers', but not for the S31 that I know of. The build number is not the hull number either, it's simply an identifier for the boat and its parts as it is being built - if/when you buy an S31 you'll find that number commonly written on the underside of ply panels. For the S31 the number started 'E3'.
I've never heard of any lists available, for any Moody models, of the long HIN numbers which are stamped into the transom.
Hope this helps - do you have a specific reason for asking?

I don't think so, Steve. There are factory lists that we have for some models showing the 'build numbers', but not for the S31 that I know of. The build number is not the hull number either, it's simply an identifier for the boat and its parts as it is being built - if/when you buy an S31 you'll find that number commonly written on the underside of ply panels. For the S31 the number started 'E3'.
I've never heard of any lists available, for any Moody models, of the long HIN numbers which are stamped into the transom.
Hope this helps - do you have a specific reason for asking?
Thanks Dick
I am purchasing an S31 and wondered how late a build it is
Its quoted as 1999 which prob means built in 1998. Interested to know how close to the last one built
I have the HIN number

The month and year of build are in the HIN number although I confess I don't know at what stage the number is allocated and applied.
1627117532517.png

It sounds like one of the very last ones built at Marine Projects. In 1999 (I think) the moulds were passed to Prouts at Canvey Island who made a few more, branded 'Moody Excel 31', and almost all these were sold to the Med charter market.
I had an S31 for 12 years, I think she was listed as a 1997 boat but actually built in 1996, and there weren't many after her. Great choice of boat, and we'd still be sailing her had I not had a serious bout of bigger-boat-itis!

The month and year of build are in the HIN number although I confess I don't know at what stage the number is allocated and applied.
View attachment 22845
It sounds like one of the very last ones built at Marine Projects. In 1999 (I think) the moulds were passed to Prouts at Canvey Island who made a few more, branded 'Moody Excel 31', and almost all these were sold to the Med charter market.
I had an S31 for 12 years, I think she was listed as a 1997 boat but actually built in 1996, and there weren't many after her. Great choice of boat, and we'd still be sailing her had I not had a serious bout of bigger-boat-itis!
Thats very helpful
Other than the usual areas to watch for on any boat, are there any unique areas I should watch for? Shes bilge keel
Thanks
Steve

Er, not really. Keel-bolts (actually studs), washer-plates and nuts on Moodys are mild steel and can appear to be very rusty if previous owners have allowed sea water to slosh about in the bilge, but often the rust is not actually bad at all when cleaned off and the studs themselves are invariably fine if they are removed to check or replace. It can alarm surveyors though. Obviously hard to get at on a bilge-keeler as most of the affected area is beneath the water tanks.
The 'teak' on the cockpit seats was originally teak-faced ply and does rot eventually when water gets under it. Owners have replaced it with solid teak or one of the imitations.
If the exhaust mixer box is made of stainless steel it probably won't last much longer, they start to leak at the welds. Replacements are available, best in GRP in my opinion but quite expensive. Some boats had rather basic electrics with only one battery, not really useful these days
I can't really think of anything else partuicular to look out for. Have a look at the S31 section in the Technical Library for info on what some owners have done to upgrade their boats.

Back