1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Informations About Eclipse 43 ?

Discussion in 'Thinking of buying a Moody ask a question here' started by Heinz Heitzer, 19/10/16.

1. Where could I find or who can give me informations about Eclipse 43 ?
    h.heitzer@smc.at

Thanks

2. Peter Wright

Peter Wright Peter Wright

Boat name:
    WILD THYME
    Boat type:
    Moody 425
    Cruising area:
    North Sea, English Channel, Biscay
    Hi Heinz,

Welcome to the MOA.

A good start to your search is the Moody Boat Archive, which you can get to from the home page of this site, it gives the basic dimensions, a brief description and an accommodation plan. It also lists 3 reports of tests done by yachting magazines, with a link to a site where you can buy copies of those reports.

Apparently only 38 of tese were built, over a period of 20 months. There are 13 members listed as owning one of these, so hopefully one of them will be along soon to tell you more about them.

Peter

4. Hallo Peter,
    Thanks for your replay. I have allready seen the technical datas and I have now ordered the test reports you said.
    Was the Eclipse 43 not so successful that Moody built only some of them ? Maybe you can tell me a little bit .
    Greetings from Austria
    Heinz

5. Peter Wright

Peter Wright Peter Wright

Boat name:
    WILD THYME
    Boat type:
    Moody 425
    Cruising area:
    North Sea, English Channel, Biscay
    Hi Heinz,

I really don't know why so few Eclipse 43's were built, the similar but smaller Eclipse 33 had a production run of 253, so it can't be that the concept was not liked. I guess maybe the short run of 43's had more to do with general market downturn in 1989 which caused Moody to think about rationalising their range. I have never saild an Eclipse (33 or 43) so I can't comment on how well they sail, but I've never sailed a Bill Dixon designed boat that doesn't surprise me with it's performance, bearing in mind how comfortable and sea kindly his boats are.

Peter

6. Paul Crickmore

Paul Crickmore Paul Crickmore

Boat name:
    JONIKA
    Boat type:
    Moody Eclipse 33
    Cruising area:
    UK West Coast
    Hi Heinz,
    I would imagine the main reason for the scarcity of the 43 was the retail price, which would have been extremely high in comparison to the 33, so unless 3 enclosed cabins was a necessity, the much shorter 33 has broadly similar accommodation (using the saloon as the 3rd cabin) at a considerable discount.
    As far as I understand it, the yacht market has over the years upsized and back in the late 80s a 33 would have been considered a medium/large yacht and a 43 a very large yacht ad therefore a much more select market.
    My 33 sails well, though not particularly high to the wind and is a far more tranquil sail than a Bavaria 37 I had the mispleasure to be on which was the 'slappiest' vessel I've ever been on.

7. Hi Paul, thanks for your informations.
    I was looking in dictionary what means "slappiest" - but found no explanation or the right meaning.
    Do you mean, that the Bavaria 37 is made in bad quality in comparison with Moody , or more wobbling while sailing?
    Sorry about my English.

Heinz

8. Paul Crickmore

Paul Crickmore Paul Crickmore

Boat name:
    JONIKA
    Boat type:
    Moody Eclipse 33
    Cruising area:
    UK West Coast
    Hi Heinz, my apologies.
    When a boat with a mostly flat bottom comes down the far side of a wave she can 'slap' the water with an uncomfortable motion which jars/judders/rattles the people and objects aboard. The Bavaria 37 design was very wide for its length and had a very flat bottom.
    In general I have found Bavarias to be made less solidly than Moodys. Doors feel more light-weight, I think the hull is thinner (judging by the amount of light that penetrates thorugh the hull into lockers) and they need a lot of money spent on the outfitting for things like water tank capacity, electrical sockets, etc. that you would expect to be standard on a Moody.
    I can't comment on the sailing performance of the 43. My bilge keel (twin keel) 33 doesn't sail as upright as a fin keel boat would, but the amount of heel is not a problem unless she has too much sail up. She heels consistently without wobble, despite the extra weight of the furling system in the mast.
    Regards,
    Paul