• We've just upgraded this forum to a major new version. It looks slightly different and has different menu options.

Please let me know if there are any issues you encounter with this upgrade, I'm still getting my head round it! Tolerance and a bit of time would be most appreciated.

Thanks Neil

Moody 422/425 Keel bolts and bilge

Hi All!
My wife & me have just had our first look at a Moody 425 that is for sale.
What we found is a condition well within the limits of what one would expect to find considering age & price.
Having read about "dry bilge" challenges I was not too much worried about finding some water stains in the bilge.
What did worry me is what I would take for a missing keel bolt nut in the foremost position.
Anyone here could potentially confirm this is what I am seeing on the attached picture? P1050740.JPG

Does someone have a complete layout of all keel bolts to make sure I can find them all and check them?

And a more generalistic question: is it really normal to have water in the bilge? We could see two points where water was coming in, one was from the direction of the port water tank and I would suspect a leak in the tank / lines and the other one was dripping in from the steering quadrant as it was raining.

Attachments

Bill Oliver

Bill Oliver
Boat name
TALADH A CUAN
Berth
Ardfern
Boat type
Moody 36(90s)
Cruising area
West Scotland
FWIW, I know nothing about 425’s but that looks like the nut is missing..

On my 36 I am waging war on the wet bilge with some very good progress, still getting some fresh water ingress under the fridge and from port side heads area but think I’ve ID’d the suspects..
When I bought her the bilges were alway wet due to many, many leaks which were simple to stop, the keel bots and nuts looked awful but on investigation were not that bad but I’m into a rolling programme of removal and inspection - I suspect only the nuts and backing plates actually need replacing but will almost certainly replace the studs as well - once I decide if stainless steel is a good idea. Or not.

Brian Hawkesworth

Brian Hawkesworth
Boat name
FIRST DEGREE
Berth
Gouvia Marina, Corfu.
Boat type
Moody 425
Cruising area
Mediterranean
Frank,

That does look like a missing nut off the keel bolt.

I'm afraid I haven't drawings for the location of the keel bolts. However, once the floor boards are up, all the bolts are revealed, apart from the one under the engine. I can't see a way of changing that one without removing the engine. Don't ask me how I know.

I would love to have a dry bilge in our 425, but have not succeeded in 10 years of ownership. The main issue on our boat is that the air con condensate drains into the bilge. We could choose not to run it, but it is 31 degrees out here at the moment.

You will also find that water from the anchor chain runs into the bilge, unless this has been modified.

We also have leaks around our side windows, which are OK in normal rain, but in the downfalls we get out here can't cope.

Regards,

Brian.

Peter Wright

Peter Wright
Boat name
WILD THYME
Berth
Suffolk Yacht Harbour
Boat type
Moody 425
Cruising area
North Sea, English Channel, Biscay
Hi Frank.

I also think your photo shows a missing nut - probably easily replaced. I have a preference for putting a lock nut on top of the first nut on keel studs.

The only stud which is difficult to access on a 425 is the aft most one, which is half hidden inside a hollow frame between the engine bearers under the engine oil sump. When we were replacing our engine, we dropped the keel and remade the joint using stainless studs, plates and nuts. -I won't go into the stainless vs mild steel debate here.

I attach a couple of photos of the aft stud complete with lock nut - this is taken looking aft through the forward engine access hatch. It's easy to get at when when there is no engine!

CIMG6378.JPG CIMG6379.JPG

Peter.