• We've just upgraded this forum to a major new version. It looks slightly different and has different menu options.

Please let me know if there are any issues you encounter with this upgrade, I'm still getting my head round it! Tolerance and a bit of time would be most appreciated.

Thanks Neil

General Kemp/Selden in-furler mast and spares...

Jose Vicuna

Temporary Member
Hi MOAonians..., hope you all are well and inspired!
We are close to the purchase of a young Moody of ~30 years fitted with a Kemp in-furler alu-mast. Recent problem is that the upper bearing holder part of the furler has broken (see pictures) and that a Selden rep (dealer) in the area says there are no longer such spares available.
Since most of the Kemp masts were similar in its guts --in spite of smaller or larger sizes--, can any one of you with such a mast and similar experience offer advise as to where to get the spare or where to request "proper and safe" manufacture?
Lots of thanks in advance.
Jose

Attachments

Jose Vicuna

Temporary Member
Well, MOA-members, except to the kind information received from David Woolgar reporting a similar case of in-furler failure, though unable to contribute to a solution due to concrete facts, I have not received any particular attention nor advice from any of you. I imagine that none of you had a similar problem, that few of you read in this threads of the forum for newcomers, or that due to my poor English you did not feel like to care.
An unfortunate situation for a newcomer seeking advice and prepared to contribute to help others once the occasion arises.

Since many of you have boats similar, in the size and age, to the one I am considering to acquire and in which the problem has emerged, I want to give you a warning concerning what to expect if something similar should affect your mast.
Concerned by the answer of the Spanish rep for Selden, stating that such parts do not longer exist as spares and that we would have to machine a new replica if wanting to repair the damage. Besides, the mast would have to be unstepped for the repair. On request for an alternative solution -- replacement of the whole mast in-furling internals with a "newer" in-furling set (if upper swivel broke it is feasible that the lower one will follow, on a hence 26 yr old mast), they offered none. I hence wrote to Selden UK and to Selden Gb (Gibraltar). Selden UK was totally uncooperative (referring us to the local dealers or to the UK Technical Centers, but not offering advice nor, in spite of our indication of the mast serial number (see picture), any
Moody Eclipse 38 Mast # (1).jpeg hints about possible solutions. Our impression is really that Selden does not care much about such oldies.

Since we are somehow helpless this concerning and need to get the mast repaired, I once again plea for your wise advice and considerations.
Thanks in advance,
Jose

Chris Burn

Chris Burn
Boat name
Cristobella
Boat type
Moody 34
Cruising area
North Wales / Irish Sea
Jose
Please allow a little more time, you have found the most knowledgeable resource of Moody information, and I am sure a member will post some advise soon. I see that 16 times the pictures have been looked at, but by owners without an answer to your problem perhaps, you are not being completely ignored.
Your English is fine, and the pictures help a lot.
My sail rolls into the boom, so I have no knowledge of your system, and can't help you, sorry.

I think that the re machining of new parts may be the quickest and most cost effective solution, if you have a friendly engineer to help you, and the mast may as well come down so you can examine the condition of everything else up there at the same time as sorting out the furling, where there is one worn out bit there are likely to be others.
Good luck
Chris

Chris Burn

Chris Burn
Boat name
Cristobella
Boat type
Moody 34
Cruising area
North Wales / Irish Sea
Also, try to move your question to the 'info exchange' forum, as many more people read that section than the 'Moody pre-purchase questions' area I think.

Jose Vicuna

Temporary Member
My humble thanks for your encouragement, Chris!
Surely it is so as you consider, but due to a present no-go situation and lack of response from Selden we have become a little nervous and I have tried to push a little the, at times, passive attitude of us members.
By now we also think that the re-machining of the broken parts may be the quickest solution, but the problem is that it does not offer any warranty concerning mid-time results, nor such a warranty can be expected nor requested from a professional lathe operator.
Nonetheless, we continue trying to find out if for the mast internal profile a "newer" furler combination can be obtained.

And, by the way, are you satisfied with your in-boom furler? Does it need an special sail type?

Thanks and cheers, Chris.

Chris Burn

Chris Burn
Boat name
Cristobella
Boat type
Moody 34
Cruising area
North Wales / Irish Sea
Hi
My boom furling is a sailtainer, old but it works, yes it has a special sail, but has full batons and a good shape, and is never stuck up the mast when it gets windy !!
New machine parts don’t really need a ‘warranty ‘ as they are new and should last a long time as long as they are made correctly and from the best material
Hope you find a solution

Peter Sims

Peter Sims
Boat name
SIRI
Berth
Ocean Quay Marina, Southampton
Boat type
Moody 44
Cruising area
Ionian
Hi Jose
I apologise for not suffering from the same problem as you seem to have. I will do my best in future to ensure I have as many problems as possible to assist you with solutions!
There is no problem with your English but maybe you could change the attitude a little. I read this section of the forum as a matter of routine and answer any questions when I think I have something worthwhile saying. In your case I couldn't add anything of value to you and I suspect many others were of the same opinion.
I hope you reach a satisfactory solution to your problem and look forward to reading your post explaining exactly what you did as a valuable example to other Moody owners.
Regards
Peter

Jose Vicuna

Temporary Member
Hi, Peter:
I accept your apologies for not having the same problems as I have! :) Lucky you!
Please, do not think that my attitude is bad... just a little desperate for not finding a solution to a problem that keeps me doubting if I purchase or not the boat that I had in mind... Thought that with my grumble I could stimulate some reaction from members that have been through it all...
Besides, I was also seeking advise as to if a machining of a no longer existing piece --with swiveling bearing balls-- is a good idea.
And be assured that I will report on the solution, once we find and implement it.

Thanks for your wishes and care.
Jose

Peter Wright

Peter Wright
Boat name
WILD THYME
Berth
Suffolk Yacht Harbour
Boat type
Moody 425
Cruising area
North Sea, English Channel, Biscay
Hi Jose,

Sorry, I've not been very active on this board lately, I've been tied up with other issues that don't relate to sailing.

Like others, I had seen your question, but I don't know the answer, as I have never personally dismantled the upper swivel Wild Thyme's main furler, which is a Kemp one of approximately 1988 vintage. The whole furler was overhauled about 3 years ago, when we had the mast down, by Evolution Rigging of Suffolk Yacht Harbour:

http://www.evolutionrigging.com/

They are very knowledgeable about Selden equipment and too good at running a business to turn customers away just because their boats are not brand new - they frequently work on boats over 100 years old. They have also just completed a rig overhaul foe Moody 54 which has now departed for Sicily

I won't be seeing them until 27 March, when I will ask them whether they can offer some advice on your problem.

One approach would be to tell the current owner that you will buy the boat once he has got the problem fixed.

Peter Wright

p.s. I have found that Selden does not like to interface with customers directly, they always work through their approved agents. The agents seem to be quite variable in both knowledge and quality of service, it's worth finding a good one. P.

Jose Vicuna

Temporary Member
Thanks such a lot, Peter, for your advise and considerations.
I will seek advice from Evolution Rigging, to see if they can support with spares or considerations for potential machining.
And yes, that is the agreement I have with the now owner and seller: he takes care of proper functioning of the furler.
But, since the mast have to come down and the rigging is surely > 14 years (see a picture of the bottles), I would also like take care of a quality refurbishment.
Did you exchange your rigging on that occasion? Would you mind sharing info about the approximate price? I have got an offer submitted that, trying to be realistic about the amount of material and work, almost blow my fuses and purchasing moral. David Woolger has been kind enough to name me a price for the exchange of the standing rigging of a similar boat in 2015, and its have of what we have been asked for. Hence, I am looking for alternatives as, it is well known, there will quite a lot of other expenditure needed to bring the boat up to a safe and pleasant "she". Saludos
Jose

Attachments

Peter Wright

Peter Wright
Boat name
WILD THYME
Berth
Suffolk Yacht Harbour
Boat type
Moody 425
Cruising area
North Sea, English Channel, Biscay
Hi Jose,

When we bought Wild Thyme, in 2010, the previous owner did not know the age of the standing rigging so, as a condition of purchase, we asked him to replace it, so we don't know what the cost was. In 2005, we had the mast down to overhaul the furlers and replace the cabling in the mast - both jobs which should have been done when the standing rigging was replaced, but clearly the previous owner did the minimum required to meet our condition.

While you're attending to the rig, it's worth taking a look at the condition of the main outhaul traveller in the boom - in 2005 we found ours was badly worn, beyond repair and replacement no longer available so Evolution replaced it with a Selden ball race track on top of the boom - it looks less elegant but works much better. You should also check that the sheeves in the deck organiser are free to turn. The secret of easy furling is to eliminate friction from the system.

Do you plan to keep her in Valencia?

Peter

Peter.

Jose Vicuna

Temporary Member
Thanks, Peter, for your hints. Since I will have to sail her single handed most of the time, I'll take great care that the secret is well kept and its context applied.
Once I have her, I plan to keep her in Valencia for a couple of months while I learn again to sail smoothly... Than probably Portugal is nearer and cheaper for me. Plan to keep some beer cool on board, so that if you or any of the MOAonians want to knock on the hull you will be welcomed!

Jose