Moody 31 MkII Looking for a first purchase and mooring

• Thread starter Martyn Johnson
  • Start date
M

Martyn Johnson

I have joined this site to research a first boat. Just like the rest of the world I have loads of time to trawl the internet, having read hundreds of threads on this site and others I have decided that a Moody is the one for me and have narrowed it down to a M31 MKII or M336. Problem is where to moor her? At present I live in west Wales, Aberaeron, most local harbours are drying and some not well protected. The time is right for us to move, therefore considering somewhere like Milford Haven area, deep water and access at all tide levels so lots to offer. As a novice sailor I have not had any experience of drying harbours, marina hoping in Greece and crewing to the Isles of Scilly and in Norway. Short handed sailing alone and most of the time with my wife. ( both attended RYA day and coastal skipper courses to get some basics under our belts) Do we go for a bilge keel or fin?? I would very much appreciate any recommendations and opinions on our choice and advice on the sailing area/mooring here in west Wales.

Hi Martyn and welcome to the MOA,

Your choice of Moody shows your good taste, and you will find this the most helpful of the owners associations when your dream of yacht ownership is realised.

The West coast of Wales is pretty inhospitable with few safe havens in the southern half so it seems likely to me that, as you surmise, Milford Haven is your best option for a berth. Paul Cleaver, of this parish, keeps his Eclipse 33 in Neyland marina - I guess that's about 1.5 hours drive from Aberaeron. A private mail to him may well get you some good advice on ailing and berthing in the local area.

Good luck with your search,

Peter.

Martyn,

A Moody 31 would be an excellent choice. I am biased as I have had a 31 (Mk1) for 16 years and usually cruise with just two. Having lines to the cockpit and a reliable autopilot help. We circumnavigated the UK over the past few years and really enjoyed out time in west wales. If you would consider a swinging mooring Dale would be a good alternative to Milford, being less industrial? We have a bilge keel and do spend time in drying harbours, we spent a few nights against the old quay in Fishguard and had a great time sailing in the area, Skomer, Jack Sound, Ramsay etc.
The marina in Aberystwyth was quite silted up while we were there and being for sale was not well manned.
Paul

Hi Martyn,

Welcome to the Moody owners forum. You've made a great start by posting on here, It really is a vast wealth of valuable information.
31mkII or 336? The 31 is a great boat, but I'm biased as I own one, the 336 will offer you more accommodation and would arguably be a better boat in rougher conditions, but comprise comes with a cost, not only purchase price but ongoing maintenance and mooring charges. Condition is important, Moodys were very well built and capable, most loved and looked after, sadly though, not all. It is usally cost effective to buy a boat that has been well cared for and has more recent upgrades. Pay particular attention to engine, rigging, and electrics.

The reason bilge Keelers are so popular here in West Wales is as Paul points out, there is a lack of deep water harbours, the majority are half tide, making twin keelers far easier to use. There are a number of fin keelers based on the Milford haven, but the upper reaches will be a no go area due to the increased draft. Both Milford and Neyland marinas are popular and offer great facilities. Swing moorings are also available at a number of locations such as Hobbs Point, Lawrenny, Landshipping and Llangwm

Cardigan can be difficult because of the bar. You will be too big for Newport. Fishguard would be feasible at Lower town, but as a drying tidal harbour has its difficulties. Solva, Like Tenby, I understand has a long waiting list. Saundersfoot maybe a possibility, but I think may have the same issue. Llanstephan has a small club with a number of small yachts may be a possibility, There is a new marina at Burry Port that may suit your need, alternatively Swansea Marina may be a viable option for you.
From all these Harbours each are relatively easily accessible. North Devon and Cornwall coasts, Lundy Island, The Scillies, and Ireland are less than a days sail away depending on your start point, so West Wales as a base is a great location.
If you have any further specific questions, please do ask.

Hope you find the perfect boat soon.

Regards,

Francis

Thanks all for the valuable info, Neyland may have a berth in the upper basin so looking into that.

Once this lock down is lifted I can start looking for a good M31.

Thanks again

Martyn

Back