Moody 31 MkII Looking to buy a Moody 31 MK II

Cath Longhurst

Registered Guest
Hi, I am looking to buy a Moody 31 MK 11 as our first yacht after years of sailing and racing dinghys. I have struggled to find any reviews of this boat and wondered whether any members had more information. Thank you, Cath

Cath, welcome to the MOA :)

There is a wealth of knowledge in the forums and the M31 is a popular size. My only concern is when you said "sailing and racing". The M31 is quite quick being canoe shaped but the handicap rating will give you the numbers. If the budget allows you might find the later S31 which is a foot longer a tad quicker and some have fractional rigs, rather than the more normal large genny and small main of many Moodys.

That said, our M31 does give a feeling of being safe even when we shouldn't have gone to sea. After 14 years of ownership we think she is ideally suited to our needs and with bilge keels allows us to go creek crawling to places fins fear to tread. How about Totnes, or the quay at Key Haven, two popular stops for us.

So what are your plans for the boat?

BTW there is a M31 Mk 2 for hire in Oban with Alba Sailing. You might get an end of season weekend or week as a trial. It has spent most of its life as a charter boat and must have covered some serious mileage but you know what, it's still going strong.

Pete

Attachments

• Moody31_sales_brochure.pdf
    793.2 KB · Views: 205
  • Sailing Today October 1999 Moody 31.pdf
    5.4 MB · Views: 476
Last edited:
Many thanks for taking the time to reply. That’s really helpful. Still debating between a Moody and other options so your thoughts are very helpful. Thanks

Back