1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M376 Emergency Tiller

Discussion in 'Thinking of buying a Moody ask a question here' started by Detlef Sievers, 19/5/17.

Tags:
  1. Detlef Sievers

Detlef Sievers Detlef Sievers Temporary Member

Boat name:
    MAUPITI
    Berth:
    Lemmer
    Boat type:
    Moody 376
    Cruising area:
    N Sea, Baltic
    I am planning to buy a Moody 376, but the emergency tiller arrangement worries me a bit. Having searched this forum I see that on many Moody models (including the 376) the emergency tiller can only be used under deck from within the aft cabin and having no communication to the outside world (which for me is quite as good as unuseable).

Some Moody models have a opening cap on deck which in an emergency case can be opened and the tiller be put through and be operated from above deck. I can imagine that it is not very comfortable (but which emergency case is comfortable). At least it is possible to operate the emergency tiller in this way.

Is it possible to do a backfitting of such a solution also on a Moody 376? Has anybody already done such a modification?

Any experiences, comments and/or pictures are highly welcome.

Detlef

2. Pete Rowland

Pete Rowland Peter Rowland

Boat name:
    APRIL LASS
    Berth:
    Gosport
    Boat type:
    Moody 31 MkII
    Cruising area:
    Solent
    Detlef, a hydraulic or electro-mechanical autopilot drive connected directly to the rudder shaft would work.

3. Detlef Sievers

Detlef Sievers Detlef Sievers Temporary Member

Boat name:
    MAUPITI
    Berth:
    Lemmer
    Boat type:
    Moody 376
    Cruising area:
    N Sea, Baltic
    Yes, that would be a possibility. However, to me it is only a less-than-ideal solution. In case of an emergency I would be happy to have the most simple solution, not a solution which depends on high-technical items (an intact electrical system e.g.).

But at least it is better than nothing.

P.S.: I am a little bit paranoiac, because on my very first two sailing holidays (many, many years ago!) we had to use the emergency tiller :-( For that reason everytime I am looking for this item.

Detlef