1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M425 Headroom

Discussion in 'Thinking of buying a Moody ask a question here' started by Duncan Monteith, 12/9/17.

1. Duncan Monteith

Duncan Monteith Duncan Monteith Registered Guest

Went to see a Moody 376. Lovely boat but at 6'2" not enough headroom considering I want to live aboard. Is the Moody 425 any better regarding headroom?
    Thanks

2. Barry Cundy

Barry Cundy Barry Cundy

Boat name:
    SUMMER WINE
    Berth:
    Portsmouth
    Boat type:
    Moody 425
    Cruising area:
    Solent
    Hi Duncan,
    We own Summer Wine a 425 and I am 6' 3" tall and don't have a problem with the headroom.
    Best Regards Barry

3. Peter Wright

Peter Wright Peter Wright

Boat name:
    WILD THYME
    Berth:
    Suffolk Yacht Harbour
    Boat type:
    Moody 425
    Cruising area:
    North Sea, English Channel, Biscay
    Hi Duncan,

At 6' 2", while headroom is generally sufficient on a M425, you will have to duck yo get through any of the doorways down below. I have to, and I'm only 5' 8". I usually bang my head once or twice at the beginning of each season and that's sufficient to relearn the issue .... until next season. I guess if you're planning to live aboard, you won't have an off season to forget about it.

Peter

4. Duncan Monteith

Thanks
    The 425 keeps rising to the top of my shortlist of boats to buy, meeting most of my criteria. However I haven't seen one yet in the flesh, so to speak. The nearest 425 for sale is Belgium, quite a trek from Edinburgh. Is there an owner in the North of Britain who would be kind enough to allow me to visit at any convenient time?
    Would be very grateful.
    Duncan

5. Phil Newman

Phil Newman Phil Newman

Boat name:
    SCHEHERAZADE
    Berth:
    Troon
    Boat type:
    Moody 422
    Cruising area:
    Clyde/West Coast Scotland
    Good morning Duncan,

Can't specifically help with a 425 but there are a number of us with a 422 over on the Clyde, and at least 2 of us at Troon. The 425 is a very similar boat to the 422 and certainly identical in terms of headroom!
    The 422 just lacks the second access through the heads into the aft cabin that the 425 has and a slightly different galley layout to facilitate it. Otherwise apart from some small detail changes they are the same boat.
    We will be on board this weekend if you wished to take a trip across to the west coast.
    Regards,
    Phil

6. Duncan Monteith

Hi
    That's a kind offer. When this weekend would it be convenient?
    Thanks
    Duncan

7. Phil Newman

Phil Newman Phil Newman

Boat name:
    SCHEHERAZADE
    Berth:
    Troon
    Boat type:
    Moody 422
    Cruising area:
    We will be on the boat from early o'clock on Sat morning until 5ish on Sunday afternoon. So whatever is convenient for you other than Sun morning when we will be at Remembrance Service. I will try to send you a PM with contact details shortly if one can do so to a Guest account.
    Regards,
    Phil

Update, sorry the system will not let me 'start a conversation' and I am a little reluctant to stick my phone number on an open forum. Boat is in Troon Yacht Haven, KA106DJ. Let me know a time convenient to you and I will make sure one of us is around.
    Regards,
    Phil

Last edited: 9/11/17
  8. Duncan Monteith

Great. I'll aim to be with you at 0930 Saturday morning.
    many thanks
    Duncan.

9. Phil Newman

Phil Newman Phil Newman

Boat name:
    SCHEHERAZADE
    Berth:
    Troon
    Boat type:
    Moody 422
    Cruising area:
    OK will let the the marina office know and lurk at 0930, what's the old blind date identification? 'wearing a pink carnation and carrying a copy of the times'!

A couple of other considerations for you allied to headroom is the bed and boom heights, whilst the 376 is adequate for the taller person it can be a little cramped length wise and there is the problem of having to climb over your partner to get out of bed, the Island bed in the 422/5 allows plenty of room for your toes to stick out the end and has side access for both!
    It is also worth considering the height from cockpit to boom, on the helm at 6'2" I have reasonable clearance to the bottom of the boom when sheeted in hard but it is not excessive and it can rub the bimmini, (luckily not used a great deal in Scotland) one of the few downsides of a centre cockpit I suppose.
    Regards,
    Phil