• We've retitled the main forum Technical Information and added another called General Information to separate technical from discussion about general boating matters of concern.

We'll also be putting a few posts from the MOA General Committee on this new forum.

If you have saved any bookmarks, addresses, URLs, these will change. Just resave the new ones Do let us know if you approve?

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the x on the top right

Moody 27 Moody 27 advice

Brian Scott

Brian Scott
Cruising area
East Coast
Having sold my Moody 34 after 15 years I am looking to buy a 26-27 feet shallow draft boat for East Coast family sailing. My shortlist is bilge keel Sadler 26 or Moody 27.
I have the usual conflict between sailing performance and accommodation. I've seen a Sadler but there are no Moody 27s for sale anywhere near my part of the country (based in Woodbridge, Suffolk).
Does anyone have any experience of the Moody 27 you could share. Of particular interest is:
1 sailing performance, especially pointing ability and ease of sailing single handed?
2 accommodation - I've seen the layout but is the quarter berth a viable double or a generous single? Also does the saloon berth convert to a double berth?
3 any generic problems with M27s to watch out for.
Any tips gratefully received.
Regards
Brian Scott

Chris Rutt

Chris Rutt
Boat name
KANALOA
Berth
Portsmouth Harbour
Boat type
Moody 27
Cruising area
Solent
Hi, I’ve had an M27 for all of four days, so can only comment on the quarter berth. Definitely a generous single!
Chris

Graham Allan

Graham Allan
Boat name
SEA HOLLY
Berth
Portsmouth
Boat type
Moody 28
Cruising area
Solent
Does your search have to stop at 27ft? The M28 is a lovely boat, generous rear cabin, and is only 27.6ft long