1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moody 28 Bilge Keel

Discussion in 'Thinking of buying a Moody ask a question here' started by Robert Purdon, 1/6/17.

Tags:
  1. Robert Purdon

Robert Purdon Robert Purdon

Boat name:
    ALIBABA
    Berth:
    Bradwell Marina
    Boat type:
    Moody 29
    Cruising area:
    River Blackwater
    Hi Members, I am considering buying a Moody 28 but have no details of sailing performance or stability. Please could anyone furnish me with some information to help me decide.
    Many Thanks,
    Bob

2. Chris Burn

Chris Burn Chris Burn

Boat name:
    Cristobella
    Boat type:
    Moody 34
    Cruising area:
    North Wales / Irish Sea
    Hi Bob
    Can't help with the 28 footer, my 34 sails well despite the twin keel, suggest contacting the owner and seeing if he will take you for a sail, this will a) give you some idea of the sort of chap the previous owner is, and b) let you find out how it performs. If the owner has nothing to hide, he will be up for it to help a possible sale, although it is normal for a prospective buyer to pay for a 'sea trial' but it wouldn't cost much, and the information gained would help you a lot. Hopefully an owner will post a reply soon to help you decide.

Chris

3. Adam Grater

Adam Grater Adam Grater

Boat name:
    CORNSILK
    Berth:
    Gillingham
    Boat type:
    Moody S31
    Cruising area:
    East Coast
    Bob - we sailed a 28 fin for 9 years, and friends of ours had a 28 bilge. There was not much in it as far as we could tell, they both sail very well.
    Stiff yachts, ingeniously designed inside, and easy to handle. Also 'cheap' to park, anti-foul etc.
    Engines are old now, and beware original fuel tanks - all easily swapped out.
    Have a sea trial - good luck!
    Adam

4. Robert Purdon

Boat name:
    ALIBABA
    Berth:
    Bradwell Marina
    Boat type:
    Moody 29
    Cruising area:
    River Blackwater
    Hi Chris, Thankyou for your reply. That is really sound advice and I will try to arrange a sea trial.
    Regards,
    Bob.

5. Robert Purdon

Boat name:
    ALIBABA
    Berth:
    Bradwell Marina
    Boat type:
    Moody 29
    Cruising area:
    River Blackwater
    Hi Adam, Thanks for the information which is very useful, especially as the boat has got a steel fuel tank. Have you any idea how much it would cost to replace the tank.
    Regards,
    Bob.

6. Adam Grater

Adam Grater Adam Grater

Boat name:
    CORNSILK
    Berth:
    Gillingham
    Boat type:
    Moody S31
    Cruising area:
    East Coast
    If it's the original mild steel (often blue) it's probably worth replacing. There are various options (see this site for more details) for repair or renewal. We had one made in acrylic by Tek Tanks, http://www.tek-tanks.com - probably around £700-ish at the time. I did the pipes etc myself, it's not overly difficult, although getting the old one out is hard work.

7. Robert Purdon

Boat name:
    ALIBABA
    Berth:
    Bradwell Marina
    Boat type:
    Moody 29
    Cruising area:
    River Blackwater
    Hi Adam, Thanks for that information, if we go ahead with the purchase I will try to factor it in.
    Regards,
    Bob.

8. Graham Allan

Graham Allan Graham Allan

Boat name:
    SEA HOLLY
    Berth:
    Portsmouth
    Boat type:
    Moody 28
    Cruising area:
    Solent
    Hi Robert, I bought a Moody 28 Bilge keel just under 2 years ago, I am very pleased with her, it's a heavy boat for its size, which is something we wanted - she's not tippy like the Hunter Horizon 23 we moved up from, our friends have a Hunter Ranger 265 which was a model I nearly bought - but walking up one side their boat still tips - this is something you don't get with the M28 and my wife is much happier being out on choppy seas.

I'm also very happy with the sailing performance, we have a furling main, and with the bilge keels and weight i was prepaired to sacrifice some speed, but I really dont think i do, I have new sails and a clean bottom and get a good 6kts of out her, we are faster than our friends H265 in all but the lightest of winds.

It took me a little while to get used to going back to a boat with a small main and a huge headsail though. Can't comment on the old engines, as ours had a new Beta 20 fitted.

My only 'complaint' if i had to make one - the internal cabin doors are a bit of a tight squeeze, but then i'm 6ft 4 and 17stone.. so i was going to get this with any boat of this size.

A couple of times i've been out in bigger seas than i'd of liked, and the weakest part of those days was definatelty myself and the crew and not the boat, which is reasuring.

Overall I am an extremely happy customer and have no plans to move up to anything else.

9. Robert Purdon

Boat name:
    ALIBABA
    Berth:
    Bradwell Marina
    Boat type:
    Moody 29
    Cruising area:
    River Blackwater
    Hi Graham, Thanks so much for your reply, which was very informative. The 28 certainly sounds like a stiff and robust boat which is just what I am looking for.
    Thanks for taking the time to respond to my question.
    Regards,
    Bob.