Moody 29 Moody 29 Bilge keel wanted .

Jez Wilman

Registered Guest
Looking fo a good ready to go boat. Main criteria, good engine to deal with the river Exe!
Hot water would also be nice. Anybody thinking of selling!?

Any advice on what to look for on this quest would be appreciated, thanks
Jez.

Good choice! Had ours for 27 years, but sorry I'm not selling, we love it, just right for coastal sailing and small harbours where you might want to dry out.
I agree a good engine is a must. Many will still have the original Bukh, but also many now have a replacement. I recommend the Beta as a great replacement, which is a reliable, agricultural simple engine.
Many things to check for are the same with all Moodys. These boats are getting old so check for regular maintenance and many items may have been renewed by now.
First thing, the boat should be dry, pay attention to the bilges, which should be dusty dry, no water, unless there is a removable speed log, but bilges should be mopped out after each removal . Does the boat smell ok, check for damp in forward cabin on the shelves and bilges. Look for signs of leaks around windows and hatches. Many will have had replacement windows by now.
Bilge keels, look for corrosion on the nuts of the keel bolts. Usually well out of the bilge water in a bilge keel. Some corrosion should not be alarming, but keep them clean and painted. As reported on most Moodys the nuts might suffer but the studs are likely to be in very good condition.
As with all GRP boats of this age, check for any hull blisters and many will have epoxy treatment.
Chain plates: the baby stay attachment, in line with the forward bulkhead can cause leaks, check the deck is not distorted around the fitting.
Check the shroud chain plates as best you can, for any water ingress and any soft areas on the bulkhead. (Look inside the cupboards port and starboard in the WC).
Stanchions, check no damage and secure. Not easy to replace as stanchions likely to be seized in their sockets. Also check where the guard wires pass through the holes in the stanchions. Hanging fenders can cause sawing action through stanchion.
Rudder, very simple and reliable, check pintles for wear.
Electrics: check condition, especially behind switchboard and engine ignition and instruments (look in cupboard above engine box). Many will have had at least some rewiring and replacement switchboard.
Fuel Tank: original is 20 gallon steel tank. They were made very substantial, and some external corrosion can be dealt with, but if there has been water in the cockpit locker or water in the fuel they will corrode. I have replaced with a 60 litre stainless steel tank by Jay Wolfe (Shop4Tanks). I went for smaller capacity to increase the throughput of fuel due to modern bio diesel having a short life.
Oven and gas system: might be original oven so may need replacement, check for maintenance and replacement of flexible hoses.
Fresh water tanks: likely to be original grp under seats. Fresh water tanks do grow mould inside
these dark damp conditions. I clean out at the beginning of the season with Puriclean tank cleaner and don't drink the water unless boiled, otherwise ok. Check plumbing. Many boats fitted with pressurised hot and cold water, check pump sound, gets noisy when getting worn. Check if calorifier fitted, for pressure relief and any leakages .
Other items, such as mast rigging, sails etc as with any boats.
Good luck.
Paul

Back