1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moody 31 Mark 2 Information

Discussion in 'Thinking of buying a Moody ask a question here' started by Pat McCormick, 6/11/16.

1. we are considering purchasing a moody 31 mark II as a family cruiser for Irish Sea waters. We have three children 14, 11 and 9. We hope to use the boat for coastal cruising weekends, occasional weeks and club racing. Can anyone tell me what they are like to use, live with and cruise? What's the typical cruising speed? What's the maximum realistic speed? How do they handle under sail in stiffer breezes?
    Hoping someone can help.
    Pat

2. Pete Rowland

Pete Rowland Peter Rowland

Boat name:
    APRIL LASS
    Boat type:
    Moody 31 MkII
    Cruising area:
    Solent
    Patrick, when we bought ours we had a 14 and 11 yr old who we put in the two cabins because brother and sister do like to argue just a wee bit. They are now 23 and 20 and don't come sailing anymore so we have lots of space for the two of us and the dog. We have cruised France, the Channel Islands and down the West country for which she is ideal. Large enough to just go with a half decent forecast, small enough that we have always managed to get into any marina we wanted to even at the height of the summer holidays. We would sit in St Peter Port, Guernsey watching the harbour staff shake there heads when another 45 yacht turned up looking for a berth. We have also turned the yacht by hand several times just with ropes to get out of a tight marina. The 28hp volvo is probably a little over size but nice to have in reserve if you regularly sail in Strangford Lough or around Rathlin Island which we will visit again, but need to retire first.

The M31 sails very well and continues to surprise me even with the in-mast main, bilge keels and fixed prop. A new Genoa a couple of years ago has made a big difference as has keeping the junk at home. We put the sails up and she does 5.5 knots on a broad reach, more with fiddling with the sails. The best we have seen is 6.9 knots in the Solent with flat water but strong winds, couldn't quite make 7 knots. A folding or feathering prop would be worth 1/2 - 3/4 of a knot at a cost of £1k. We have had a couple of nasty trips up to F6, so we kept the yacht well reefed and cruised home without any real dramas. The M31 won't be the first choice for a club racer, but if you are happy to use the handicap to compete then that evens things up.

If you didn't choose the M31, I am not sure what to recommend instead. A Sigma 33 might be good for the club racing, but the accommodation layout won't suit the family. Most of the smaller Westerly's have the loo forward of the mast which I don't like and shows a dated layout. The BenBavJen equivalents don't have the quality of a Moody which does make a difference later in life. Whilst all fittings eventually wear out the build quality of the Moody is nice to have on a yacht that is now 28 years old and still in very good condition.

Last edited: 9/11/16
  3. James Everiss

James Everiss James Everiss

Boat name:
    TWILIGHT
    Boat type:
    Moody 31 MkII
    Cruising area:
    Solent and Channel.
    Hi Patrick. I bought my Moody 31 Mk 11 earlier this year and have 'enjoyed' a pretty lumpy North Sea crossing as well as several cross channel trips along with the usual coastal runs and have grown to really love the boat. Mine is fin keel and whilst sailing in 35 knot winds along the coast of Belgium we touched 8 knots under full sail. Having said although she is far from sluggish she is no speed merchant but for me, perfect for safe comfortable cruising. I find the engine is probably more powerful than is necessary and I usually will cruise under motor power at around 2000 revs which gives me more than enough speed. I find down below she is well finished and comfortable although the rear cabin is rather limited on headroom. The full size chart table is a real boon and the heads is perfectly situated next to the steps from the cockpit which is just about perfect for the crew to use when underway. I am sure you won't go far wrong if you do chose the Moody. Good luck.

4. Pete and James, thank you for your informative and helpful responses. We've just had offer accepted on a mark II 31. Next step is survey and a sail home.

5. James Everiss

James Everiss James Everiss

Boat name:
    TWILIGHT
    Boat type:
    Moody 31 MkII
    Cruising area:
    Solent and Channel.
    Congratulations Pat. I hope all goes well with the survey and I am sure you will be very happy with your new boat.

6. John Ranson

John Ranson John Ranson

Boat name:
    NAKITA
    Boat type:
    Moody 31 MkII
    Cruising area:
    Deben
    Hi Pat,
    I (or we) have had our Moody 31 mk 2 for nearly 26 years now and it is almost a member of the family. Our two daughters have grown up in it, gone across the North Sea and now have their own families. As Pete and James have said it is a super boat and does everything well. It will keep up with larger boats although I invariably get pipped by a Westerly Fulmar, but not by much! It is now on the second engine.

In a near gale off Foulness it did twice register 11.2 knots surfing down waves, but I wouldn't recommend it! It is a safe, stable family yacht which is not too large and with loads of space down below. We have been looking at newer boats recently and are surprised in larger boats having less space. Bill Dixon certainly made a winner there. I regularly sail it single handed and with a fully battened main there is no real need to leave the cockpit until in a safe spot.

I have a feathering prop which helps and no of no latent faults with them. Enjoy yours, I just wish Moody were still in business making similar sized boats to their old range.

Best,
    John