Moody 31 MkII Moody 31 MkII vs Moody 28 - additional cabin room?

• Thread starter Matthew Stibbs
  • Start date
M

Matthew Stibbs

I’m 6ft4 and have been looking at Moody 28, 30, and 31.

I think I’ve probably ruled out 30s now, as I’d like something a little more modern.

I’d be really grateful of any views re extra cabin space gained from a M31 over a M28.

In particular headroom in saloon, and room in berths and heads (am aware of the additional storage). I haven’t managed to view a 31Mk2 in the flesh yet, and it’s very difficult to tell from photos whether you actually gain much in these areas over the 28.

Appreciate any insights from people who have experience of both!

I have no experience of a 28, but i have a 31 mk2, located in Plymouth. If you are in the area, let me know, I can give you a viewing so you can see for yourself.
I am 5'10 and have no issues in the saloon, but i do bump my head a lot on doorframes.
However they may be the same across many boats, and i probably just need to be more cautious.

I have no experience of a 28, but i have a 31 mk2, located in Plymouth. If you are in the area, let me know, I can give you a viewing so you can see for yourself.
I am 5'10 and have no issues in the saloon, but i do bump my head a lot on doorframes.
However they may be the same across many boats, and i probably just need to be more cautious.

very kind, Ben. I’m actually in Medway, Kent -so not an easy pop round the corner (although I wish it were!)

Matthew, you're going to have a problem but that will apply to many yachts not just Moodys, so worth persevering to see if you can live with it or make adjustments. However, first the differences are a wardrobe in the v berth cabin, a bit of extra height and width in the saloon, an extra cupboard in the galley. Heads are a difference layout and more space above the loo. You loose the stern window in the stern cabin in favour of a double calor gas cylinder locker.

You need to visit a view a M31 before going any further because I am 5'8" and Viv 5'6" and we play footsie at night if we use the v berth. You would need to remove the wardrobe one side and the locker on the other to give you the length you need. The stern cabin may be the better option. Graham and his wife visited me about the same issue. They are both over 6' and did manage to get in the stern cabin. The part under the cockpit floor is a little low with wheel steering mechanism but doable. So you need to see for yourself and lie down on the berths which I was happy for Graham and his wife to try.

Your other options might be the S31 but more expensive, or a M34 but bilge keeled versions are in high demand at the moment. If a fin will suit there is less competition.

Final suggestion, there is a M31 called True Blue for charter out of Oban. You might think about a weekend charter at the end of the season as a real test before buying. The charter firm is Alba Sailing and we are booked on her at the end of September.

There is a cheap M31 Mik 1 in Kent if that is any help to give you an idea. The main differences are the chart table is the other way round and there is no sugar scoop, the rest is identical.

Last edited:
Another word for the S31, since you mention preferring perhaps something 'more modern'. You may not realise but the S31 is a completely different boat to the earlier M31 - different hull, different interior, different engine, and different rig. One of the benefits is an aft cabin that is huge for a 31-footer. And they are cracking sailing boats.

very kind, Ben. I’m actually in Medway, Kent -so not an easy pop round the corner (although I wish it were!)
Hi Matthew

I am based in Chatham and have a Moody 31mk2. I am only 5ft 9 thus no real issues but you are welcome to view Sheste if you wish

Regards

Adam

Good luck with your finding a suitable boat Matthew . All appear to be a little thin on the ground at the moment we are very keen to purchase either S31 or late Mk 2 with bilge and tiller steering, any introduction will be greatly received

Hi Adam, that would be a massive help if you wouldn't mind - appreciate it. What's the best way to make contact?

Hi @Adam Chalklin, that would be a massive help if you wouldn't mind - appreciate it. The forum won't let me send you a private message unfortunately - what's the best way to make contact?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Matthew, a benefit of membership or temporary membership is the ability to send messages as well as access to other forums.

As a registered guest you don’t have that, but I am sure the Facebook link will work for you. If you want me to relay a message do email me and I’ll pass it on. You can get my email address from the contacts pages at moodyowners.org

Kindest

Neil

Hi Matthew, a benefit of membership or temporary membership is the ability to send messages as well as access to other forums.

As a registered guest you don’t have that, but I am sure the Facebook link will work for you. If you want me to relay a message do email me and I’ll pass it on. You can get my email address from the contacts pages at moodyowners.org

Kindest

Neil

Thanks @Neil Eccles - I found temporary membership after I'd sent that message and have applied now :)

Back